The Stonewall Jackson?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

The Stonewall Jackson?

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:48 am

While visiting yesterday, my dad mentioned that in his youth he and friends had mixed a drink at least locally known as a "Stonewall Jackson" -bourbon and cold apple cider. Is anybody familiar with this?

I thought I might try it. It seems like a seasonal beverage. Anybody have a vote on what bourbon would mix best with apple cider? AAA came to my mind for some reason, with EC 12 as another contender.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:42 am

I'd imagine you'd want something bold and uncompromising to hold up to the cider...I like the EC12 suggestion. You might also try a rich, rye-heavy bourbon like OGD or Bulleit.

BTW, the drink is a pretty simple recipe:

http://www.whattodrink.com/drinkrecipes ... newall.asp
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:38 am

Virginia Gentleman's 90 proof 'Fox' is the perfect bourbon for a Stonewall Jackson!
bunghole

Unread postby Mark » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:51 am

Hmm, I'll definitely have to try this drink this weekend... At first I liked Gary's thought of a heavy rye bourbon for something totally different Linn's suggestion of VA Gentlemen also sounds like it would be good in it. Guess I'll have to try a few variations! :drunken:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:27 am

Mark wrote:Hmm, I'll definitely have to try this drink this weekend... At first I liked Gary's thought of a heavy rye bourbon for something totally different Linn's suggestion of VA Gentlemen also sounds like it would be good in it. Guess I'll have to try a few variations! :drunken:

I think a high rye bourbon would overwhelm the delicate flavor of the cider as would the signatue medicinal character of anything from Heaven Hill. Something low in rye such as Old Charter/I.W. Harper, or a good soft wheater such as the 'Fox' or something Weller is the ticket. Don't bother to go too old. A younger bourbon will better compliment the cider with it's liveliness. Luckily I can get fresh pressed unpasturized apple cider from a local orchard. Do use an unpasturized cider if you can get it as it is thicker and much more flavorful. If you have a shaker - use it with gusto! Mmmm frothy. Serve in a frosted glass or julip cup. Oh yeah it tates even better if you sing Dixie while you're makin' 'em! :D

:arrow: imasouthernbunghole :!:
bunghole

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:52 am

Well, it might not be something you'd want to 'waste' Stagg on, but that sounds like a pretty good match, just the same.
TNbourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:18 pm

Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond. A bourbon that adds a lot of flavor when mixing or cooking. I use it in my bourbon baked beans and have not had a complaint yet.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:00 am

Thanks, guys, for all your input! I see some Stonewall Jackson experimentation ahead this holiday season!

I had my first yesterday. Unfortunately, I had no unpasteurized cider on hand, but we can get some for future use. Per Linn's instructions, I did use VG 90 and did shake it with as much gusto as I could after a night on call. I think I lost the "froth" since it was pasteurized, but it did froth slightly.

My first taste was a nostalgic one - reproducing that bite of cider that had "turned," either expectedly or not. Not very common these days now that it's almost all pasteurized. The VG 90 complemented the cider well. With as much enthusiasm as Linn had regarding the recommendation, I knew it would. A most refreshing late afternoon cocktail. I was surprised at how lively the combination really was. I'm sure a lighter, not-so-old bourbon is required for that "liveliness," as Linn suggested.

I think my next two experiments will be EC 12 (no offense, Linn, but I gotta see for myself; my bet is that it will seem like a very different drink, but I'm not convinced it will be unpleasant) and VOB 100 (great idea, Mike - I didn't even think of that one!).

So, Linn or Mike - do you know if Stonewall Jackson really drank his bourbon (or cider) this way? If so, did he originate it?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby tommy » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:30 am

angelshare wrote: So, Linn or Mike - do you know if Stonewall Jackson really drank his bourbon (or cider) this way? If so, did he originate it?

Dave: Your question wasn't really directed at me, but I couldn't resist doing a little research. Here's a blurb about Stonewall Jackson that I found online:

"Jackson was a devout Presbyterian. A friend later commented that "he never smoked, he was a strict teetotaler and never touched a card.""

I think old Stonewall was more famous for sucking on lemons than for imbibing.
tommy

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:44 pm

Thanks, Tommy! I guess the follow up question is how DID this drink get named?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Return to Bourbon, Straight