Bourbon aged Scotches

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon aged Scotches

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:42 pm

(An earlier thread made me remember this) Although I haven't bought a scotch in some 2 years, a good client just did a trade with me, so I recieved a bottle of Bruichladdich 15yr. I chose this bottling because it's from 80-85% first fill bourbon casks (OK, barrels. But once they're taken apart and put back together, they're casks). In any event it was really neat to nose and taste the bourbon in this product, which I have been unable to detect in other bourbon-aged scotches.

Anybody else WHO LIKES SCOTCH have a similar experience with any other bottlings? And if you don't like Scotch, then there is no need for you to comment.
:)
Dave

Unread postby dgonano » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:08 pm

I haven't been able to detect the bourbon as most are either peaty or finished in sherry casks, Dave. I do have an unopened Bruichladdich 15 in the bunker and it is on my "next to drink list ". I will let you know my thoughts. I understand that has little peat for an Islay.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby Dave » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:32 pm

dgonano wrote:I understand that has little peat for an Islay.
True it's not what most Islay affectionados clamour after, but it's a fine malt and the new owners are going places (to watch out for). Bunnahabbain (sp) is the only Islay that is more delicate. Incidently, the Bruichladdich 10 is quite unlike the 15, but in it's own right worth keeping an eye out for. No caramels, No chill filtering, really attempting to do the "local product-good people" thing.
Attachments
naturalladdieweebar.jpg
naturalladdieweebar.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 13919 times
Dave

Unread postby White Lightning » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:49 am

Try their cask strength 89. I believe it is straight bourbon barrel. McEwan seems very fond of the "wholesome" product thing and if I'm not mistaking they are "chateau" status.

Balvanie has a single barrel that has boubon qualities.

What I find interesting is Laphroaig (also from Islay like Bruichladdich) is said to produce it's better whisky from recycled Jack barrels. Frankly I'm surprised with all the legal technicalities etc. that no one has called them on the carpet for stating their products are matured in "bourbon" casks.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:59 am

White Lightning wrote:What I find interesting is Laphroaig (also from Islay like Bruichladdich) is said to produce it's better whisky from recycled Jack barrels. Frankly I'm surprised with all the legal technicalities etc. that no one has called them on the carpet for stating their products are matured in "bourbon" casks.

That is, assuming the Scottish distillers know the difference :lol:
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:10 am

Dave wrote: True it's not what most Islay affectionados clamour after, but it's a fine malt and the new owners are going places (to watch out for). Incidently, the Bruichladdich 10 is quite unlike the 15, but in it's own right worth keeping an eye out for. No caramels, No chill filtering, really attempting to do the "local product-good people" thing.

Dave,

Of all the Scotch regions, Islay produces my favorite style of single malt. Although Bruichladdich is not as overpowering as Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, I have found it to be a VERY good product. I was intoduced to their line at WhiskyFest in NY 2 years ago. I tasted their 1970 bottling and it blew me away! It was fantastic! I've since bought the 10 year old which I enjoy. At this years WhiskyFest, I tried their Full Strength 1989 and their 20 year old. Both were good, but I enjoyed the 20 year old better. Each year, I've also had an opportunity to talk with Jim McEwan, who is their distilller, and a very nice guy as well.

I highly recommend people that like Scotch to try Bruichladdich's products. They are very good, and as Dave noted, no additional crap to mask the product!
Bob
Brewer

Bourbon Aged Scotch

Unread postby rickduff » Thu May 04, 2006 1:16 pm

I recently toured Abelour Distillery (in Scotland) and bottled one of their two choices at the end of the tour. You can fill a bottle with Sherry Cask or Bourbon Cask Scotch. The "Bourbon" barrel was from Jack Daniels..
Now, we all know Jack Daniels technically isn't Bourbon...but Tennessee Style Whiskey... so is it ok for them to label this as Bourbon Cask Scotch?
I suppose they look at it as the barrel (cask) itself was made for bourbon.

Thoughts?
rickduff

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu May 04, 2006 2:35 pm

The sad fact is that everywhere else in the world (and in most bars in the United States as far as that goes), Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 is considered a bourbon whiskey. Since that is the case, the Scotch Whisky Industry is going to consider JD barrels bourbon barrels. In reality, these barrels will give pretty much the same flavor as a bourbon barrel. Any extra smokiness from the charcoal mellowing will be hidden by the Scotch whisky smokiness.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Bourbon aged Scotches

Unread postby John Wesley » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Glenmorangie 10 and Glenmorangie Astar are aged in used Jack Daniels casks. Both are superb young Scotch Whiskies. I believe the Bruchladdich 10 and 12 may use bourbon casks. You can certainly detect the typical vanilla bourbon type notes in both the Glenmorangie whiskies.

JW
John Wesley

Return to Scotch Whisky