Punch Double Corona Maduro

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Punch Double Corona Maduro

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:15 pm

The other day at the Magic of American Whiskey tasting, I brought along some Punch Double Corona Maduro cigars for after the tasting. JDKnaebel, ChuckMick, Micheal Hack, Gayle Hack as well as the owners of the Bistro Jason and John all were given one. After the tasting JD and myself decide to light one up and enjoy it with a bourbon.

I find the cigar to be a little spicey and yet sweet on the palate so we discussed what bourbon to have with the smoke. We went with Old Fitzgerald 1849 because we thought the carmel sweetness would compliment the natural sweetness but not conflict with the spicey flavor. Any other cigar smokers out there have another suggestion? I still have some left and JD and I might be want to try one with another bourbon.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:30 pm

Mike,
Punch cigars are not for the faint of heart and are one of the most robust cigars on the planet. Therefore I think you need to pair it with an intense bourbon. On the wheat side, ORVW 15-107 I think would work and on the rye side, perhaps WT-12, WT Tribute or something similar. I just smoked a Punch Rare Corojo paired with a pour of WT Tribute (after dinner, of course). Wow, what a combination.
Joe :cigar:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:40 pm

It sounds like I was on the right track with the 1849. Actually our first choice was Weller Centennial but John and Jason emptied the bars last bottle on Saturday and the 1849 was our second choice.

I have some Stitzel-Weller 8 yo 1849 and some Stitzel-Weller Weller Centennial at home. Maybe JD will want to try one of those. I also have some George Dickel made in the 1980's behind the bar at the Bistro. That is a slightly sweet caramel with some charcoal smoke and a little sweet spice. Maybe that would go with these Maduro's as well. I find Wild Turkey products a bit more peppery and I would be a fraid that will conflict with the spice in the cigar.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:36 am

Mike I think I'd pair that PUNCH maddie with Four Roses Single Barrel. The complexity of the bourbon would balance out the robustness of the smoke.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:28 pm

Linn,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think these are a long enough smoke, I may have to try several bourbons. I had not thought of Four Rose, but it does sound good.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:15 pm

bourbonv wrote:Linn,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think these are a long enough smoke, I may have to try several bourbons. I had not thought of Four Rose, but it does sound good.

Mike Veach

You're welcome Mike. I tend to agree with Joe Bourbon that a more intense pour is needed with any maduro wraped stick. It seems to me that a fine wheated bourbon might very well get lost in the strength of the smoke. Plus I just like the combo of a good maduro with Four Roses Single Barrel. :thumbright: But do try a good wheater as a semi-blind compairison. I should think any of the 107 proof Wellers would stand up well enough. Maybe that new uncut/unfiltered William LaRue Weller that I haven't tried yet might be just the ticket! I'd even try that with a Winston! :lol:

Linn - :smoke:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Linn,
This keeps getting better and better. I think I will start with Four Roses and then some William LaRue Weller. I will then follow Joe's advice and finish with a wild Turkey Rare Breed. They are a pretty long smoke.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:00 pm

So Mike have you had a chance to test taste the bourbons with the vitola?

:smilecigar: ima :cigarnut:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun May 14, 2006 1:50 pm

Linn,
I suprised myself and found that this cigar actually went best with some Old Grand Dad 114. I would have thought the spice of the cigar and the spice of the bourbon would have been too much, but it really was not. The other suggestions worked pretty good as well. The Four Roses was my second favorite pour with this cigar.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sun May 14, 2006 2:01 pm

Ah-Ha! Mike I hadn't even thought about the 114 proof Old Grand Dad! I'll bet that did make for quite a tasty pairing. Thanks for posting the update. The research continues :!:

:arrow: ima :smilecigar: :beer: :angel7:
bunghole

Return to The Humidor