The Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

The Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:22 pm

The Oscar Getz Museum in Bardstown is the results of Oscar Getz's passion for collecting whiskey memorabilia when he owned the Barton Distillery. After his death the family provided for a public museum of the collection in Bardstown with the requirement that no fee ever be charged for public viewing of the collection. Over the years donations of material have added to the size of the original collection.

The museum has bottles, labels, glassware and other artifacts dealing with the whiskey industry. Originally this collection stopped with the years following prohibition, but about 5 years ago the museum expanded and brought the exhibits up to date with a focus on the existing distilleries and their brands. This museum is a place every Bourbon Enthusiast should visit while in Kentucky.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby parshooter » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:59 pm

I have been there a couple of times. A very interesting museum. Last time, in Sept, I asked if I could buy the bottle of Stagg's that was on display. She said "no" :(
parshooter

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:15 pm

I just spent a day down in Bardstown giving a talk on the history of Bourbon to the staff of the Getz Museum and some other people that wished to join us. Thanks for coming to those that were there for this informal history class. I also want to repeat that the museum is a very special place to learn some history of the product. A day spent looking through the museum is never a wasted day. I learn something new everytime I take time to really study what they have.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions