Bourbon Uncorked: History Behind the Labels

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Uncorked: History Behind the Labels

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:37 am

This Friday at noon, I am giving a talk about the history of certain bourbon brands. It is a free lecture open to the public, so if you are in Louisville on Friday, please do come by for the talk. The talk will cover the history of specific brands, but also the evolution of the way bourbon is branded from the early 19th century to the 21st century.

I also want to say that I am also using this site to get images of the brands I am talking about. I will credit the site in general and Mark and Chris in particular since most of the bottle images are their images. What I am suprised about is the number of brands that do not have images with the reviews. Some of these really do suprise me because I could have swore that I have seen images of the brands here, but they do not appear to be there now. These brands are Old Taylor, Old Grand Dad, Old Fitzgerald, Early times, Yellowstone and Ezra Brooks. If anybody has the images of these brands and can post them to the site, I would be happy to add them to my presentation as well, with credit given to the provider.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Bourbon Uncorked: History Behind the Labels

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Jeff,
i don't know if they plan to put it on Youtube agian or not. It will be video taped so they may.

Thanks for the images. Those will help.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby independant » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:15 am

Sorry I could not load up any pictures I lost the cord from my camera to my computer Good luck with your talk today. Lets us know if it will be on you tube
independant

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14 am

Jeff,
I should have posted this earlier, but I have been busy getting several project together, including the talk. After i made the post, I got to looking for images and decided to use my 1899 Mida's Trademark registery for the images i was missing since they were mostly old brands and that will help me tell the story of the evolution of the idea of "Brand". I appreciate the effort and you may want to add these images to the database for the brands. I did use the images from here for the more modern brand (except Ezra Brooks which I scanned a bottle I have on my desk after emptying the M&M's out of it). Bourbonenthusiast will get the credit for those images and I do knoe that Eric Gregory from the KDA will be here along with some other industry people.

I will let you know how it goes today.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby mozilla » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:33 am

No problem.

Also, waiting for Chris to give the go ahead for the addition of pics to the Review area. When he knocks out a long list of items to be tweeked we will get them all uploaded.
mozilla

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:34 pm

The talk went well. It was a good crowd of about 60 people and had several good questions afterwards. It was video taped and it is hoped to become the first video to added to the new Filson website. I will keep you informed as to how that works out.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions