Only Allowed One Stop on Bourbon Trail

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Only Allowed One Stop on Bourbon Trail

Unread postby spidermonkey317 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:06 pm

I will be passing through the Bourbon Trail on my way from Indianapolis to Asheville later this week and will have time to stop at only one distillery on the way down and maybe one on the way back to Indy. Which one or tow are the most recommended to stop at?

Also, is there any bourbon you recommend I pick up that I can't get back home?

Thanks
spidermonkey317

Re: Only Allowed One Stop on Bourbon Trail

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Since you are on your way to Asheville, Your closest stops will be the Anderson Couty/woodford County Frankfort distilleries. If you only get one stop, make it Four Roses. They have a very good tour for a column still distillery. If you have time for two stops go to Woodford Reserve for a tour of a pot still distillery. A good contrast and two excellent tours.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:52 pm

Good first post s'monkey!

Woodford Reserve Distillery on Glen's Creek just outside of Versailes, in Woodford County Kentucky, and Maker's Mark in Loretto, Kentucky. Both are hard to find and take some time to get to, but are well worth the effort.

Box up everything you don't need and ship it home via FedEx or UPS in order to free up valuable bourbo-space!

Go shopping! Buy at least one of every bottle you have never seen before. Buy full cases of Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch. Ditto Pappy 15 and 20 year olds. Don't forget Very Old Barton! Split a case between the most excellent 90 (A.K.A. "Kentucky Proof") and the 100 proof Bottled-In Bond.

Get a cheap orange wig and "nose glasses". If you are transporting more than one (1) gallon of whiskey per adult, then you are in violation of Federal law!

Should you get pulled over by officers of the law - tell them your name is "Betty"!
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby NeoTexan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Welcome to the board from another Indyite.

Although I am an AVID Maker's fan and think the grounds of MM are beautiful, it is a little hard to get to and find. But it is well worth the stop if you have the time and enjoy driving in the holller's. From downtown Indy it is about two to two and a half hours to MM.

You also can do no wrong by going to Woodford or Four Roses.

If you are interested, PM me and I can introduce you to a few others here in Indy with a passion for the necter of the gods.
NeoTexan

Unread postby spidermonkey317 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.
spidermonkey317

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 pm

Maker's Mark and the Heaven Hill visitors center are definitely great places to visit (as is the Oscar Getz Museum in Bardstown), but I was thinking of something that would not be quite so far out of your way while travelling to Ashland. I would also recommend Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace. Wild Turkey does a very good tour all of the time, but I recommend the hard hat tour at Buffalo Trace if you actually want to see the distillery and not just bottling of single barrel whiskey and an aging warehouse.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Probably one of the Lexington-area distilleries would be your best best, in terms of not making your detour any longer than necessary. Of the four, especially if you've never been to an American whiskey distillery before, I think you will get the most from a visit to Woodford Reserve.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Bourbon Expeditions