The 2007 Bourbon Festival is on the horizon now

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

The 2007 Bourbon Festival is on the horizon now

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:07 pm

My wife and I received our tickets today to the 'Let's Talk Bourbon' breakfast and seminar at Four Roses. Other than that our only firm plans are to enjoy the 'Mike' night at the Bourbon's Bistro on Wednesday, the 12th.

We will be arriving on Tuesday evening and staying until Friday morning, so suggestions as to the best way to spend our time while there will be most welcomed!

I am looking forward to meeting many of the BE people while there.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Mike,

Art and I will be rolling into Bardstown Tuesday night and be there until Sunday. My wife, kids, and cats will be battling for control in my absence. Where are you staying, do I recall a rumor of Louisville?

As far as what to do, the first question must be; Have you been to the area before? If not, then the list is looong.

Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Cheers,
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:45 pm

Mike, my wife and I are staying at the Best Western Brownsville in Louisville, but do expect to spend some time in Bardstown. Neither of us has ever been in the Louisville/Bardstown area so we are prepared to be confused.
Last edited by Mike on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:44 pm

First of all, you being an ordained preacher of the Wild Turkey ministry, are you planning a pilgrimage? It is very close to Four Roses. If you have time Friday after the brunch, that would be the most convenient. Otherwise it will be a bit of a hike back out there on 2 different days.

I expect you'll visit Bardstown to take in the festivities. In Bardstown you should also see the Getz museum and take the Heaven Hill tour. I'm staying at the Best Western General Nelson in Bardstown. Most festival nights there is a BE/SB.com social gathering and tasting there, definitely plan at least one evening there. I'm thinking Thursday may be your better day for Bardstown as the festival activities increase as the week goes on.

You may also want to head out to the Frankfort area to see Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve. Or BT and WT if you can't manage it on Friday.

Cheers,
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:01 am

Mike and MikeK,
I do hope that your plans include Wednesday night at the Bourbon's Bistro for "All Mike Night". If you are staying in Louisville, maybe I can arrange a tour of the U. D. archives for you both on Thursday.

Mike
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:20 am

Mike,
Doug and I will be in Louisville on Tuesday Sept.11. We are planning to go to Jocky Silks Lounge in the Galt House Hotel and meet up with Gayle Hack about 6:30 pm. If you have nothing to do, why don't you join us for a drink.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Mike,
Doug and I will be in Louisville on Tuesday Sept.11. We are planning to go to Jocky Silks Lounge in the Galt House Hotel and meet up with Gayle Hack about 6:30 pm. If you have nothing to do, why don't you join us for a drink.
Joe

Joe, we don't know exactly when we will arriving in Louisville. We will be flying into Dayton and renting a car and hope to be in Louisville in the mid to late afternoon. If we can make it, we sure will join you guys at Jocky Silks. Thanks for the invite.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:40 pm

bourbonv wrote:Mike and MikeK,
I do hope that your plans include Wednesday night at the Bourbon's Bistro for "All Mike Night". If you are staying in Louisville, maybe I can arrange a tour of the U. D. archives for you both on Thursday.

Mike

I was hoping you might suggest something like that...........let us look at our event schedule and get back to you.
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:02 pm

bourbonv wrote:Mike and MikeK,

Mike

Mike,

I'll definitely be at Mike night. Otherwise it just wouldn't be right! What time are you expecting the gathering to begin? I was planning on having dinner there and then staying for Mike night.

A tour of the UD Archives would be marvelous! If you are also interested and able to give a jeep tour of Louisville, would you want to do that in concert with the archives or on a separate day?

So far, Art and I are available all day Wednesday, Thursday is fine other than a Four Roses distillery event from 12:00 - 2:00, Friday is wide open but I have to be back to Bardstown by dinner time.

Thanks!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Mike night is a must for my wife and I. Looking at the BF events and calendars, we want to spend some time milling about in Bardstown on Wednesday or Thursday (Thursday might be preferable in hopes of getting to meet Gary Gillman), but we are open to Mike Veach's schedule. Aside from Mike Night and the Friday do at Four Roses, and a Friday evening visit with John Lipmann, we have nothing set in stone.

I know I would enjoy spending time with Mike V (and other of our BE and KY folks like Gayle and Brendaj and MikeK, Bourbon Joe, TNBourbon, Gillman and others), seeing the UD Archives, and other worthwhile sites in Louisville.
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:25 am

I will have to see what happens but I think I can get s few people into the archive on Thursday. The distilling tour of Shively might have to be done in shifts since the Jeep only hold three other people in comfort. I think right now with MikeK, and Art I can do it Thursday morning. If Mike and his wife want the tour as well we can either do it after the Archive tour or on Wednesday before All Mike Night. I seems to me there was someone else who wanted that tour but I am drawing a blank. If I promised someone else the tour, speak up now so we can figure out when to do it.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:01 pm

bourbonv wrote: If I promised someone else the tour, speak up now so we can figure out when to do it.

It was probably me and Fricky Mike. The only time we could do it would be anytime on Wednesday. Let us know. If you can't fit it in, we'll understand. By the way, we're staying at the Holiday Inn downtown.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:02 am

Joe,
You are right, it was you and Fricky. Wednesday sounds good. I can pick you up at the hotel and give you the tour. I just hope the weather is nice so we can take the top off the Jeep.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Once again, I'm not going to be able to attend the Festival...however, there's some talk going on up this way that maybe a couple of us NY'ers may take a trip down that way next Spring. Not for the Sampler, but hoping that maybe a few BE members may also be "up" for our own, impromptu gathering when nothing else is going on. Then, we'd have the whole "scene" to oursleves, without all the hoopla and other stuff. Maybe we could get some nice tours lined up at the distilleries when things are relatively quiet, and get some special attention as a result.

I hope that everyone going to the Festival has a great time. I know that I had great times the 2 years that I went. As plans progress for next year, one or both of us characters will keep y'all posted with what we're thinking, or dreaming, about!
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 pm

Bob,
That does sound good. I am sure if I have enough notice in advance, I can get you into the U D Archives and maybe Brown-Forman Shively (formly known as Early Times). There is also the Cave Hill Cemetery tour and maybe a walking tour of whiskey row ending with a drink or two at the Galt House and that is just in Louisville.

I have been talking with some people at Louisville Tourism about a Bourbon Heritage Weekend here in Louisville, maybe in June, but they have been out on vacation for the past several weeks. I hope to hear more soon. That would be a good time for the BE members to meet in Louisville.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Next

Return to Bourbon Expeditions