The Urban Bourbon Trail

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

The Urban Bourbon Trail

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:29 pm

Last night I was the speaker for an event held at the Bourbon's Bistro but sponsored by the Kentucky Derby Festival. There were morning radio DJs from the midwest and south as well as past chairs of the KDF committee in attendence. Brenda was my guest and hopefully she will post some photographs later. It was a three course dinner with three bourbons. The salad was a mixture of greens with fresh strawberries and pecan brittle candy. It was paired with the extra aged bourbon Russell's Reserve. The main course was Beef tenderloin paired with Four Roses Single Barrel as an example of single barrel bourbons. The dessert was chocolate Bread pudding with bing cherries and a small batch bourbon, Maker's Mark. Everybody had a great time and I enjoyed doing the event.

What made the event worth posting about though was one of the sponsors was the Louisville Tourist Commission who are creating the "Urban Bourbon Trail". The thought is to get people to come to Louisville and use the city as a base to explore bourbon country. They highlight Louisville's fine bourbon bars and restaurants such as the Bourbon's Bistro with a visit to the new bourbon distillery exibit at the convention center downtown. They are also sponsoring a tent at the week long Derby event formerly known as the "Chow Wagon" but now known as the "Festiville on the River" located in the great new green space park on Louisville's waterfront. This will do wonders at promoting not only Louisville, but also the bourbon industry. It shows what can happen when you have a tourist commission that is far sighted and willing to to promote not only their city, but bourbon as well. I dropped the idea to the Tourist Commission about a "Bourbon Heritage Weekend" in Louisville where The distillers could set up exhibits and provide busses to visit their distillery while the visitors stayed in Louisville Hotels. They seemed to like the idea. Let's hope they take the ball and run with it.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: The Urban Bourbon Trail

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:23 pm

bourbonv wrote:This will do wonders at promoting not only Louisville, but also the bourbon industry. It shows what can happen when you have a tourist commission that is far sighted and willing to to promote not only their city, but bourbon as well. I dropped the idea to the Tourist Commission about a "Bourbon Heritage Weekend" in Louisville where The distillers could set up exhibits and provide busses to visit their distillery while the visitors stayed in Louisville Hotels. They seemed to like the idea. Let's hope they take the ball and run with it.

Heh, heh, heh.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 pm

Chuck,
I thought you would appreciate that idea.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions