World Whiskey Awards

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

World Whiskey Awards

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:16 pm

I was a taster at the Bourbon's Bistro today, along with julian and Preston Van Winkle, John and Jason, the owners of the Bistro, Susan Riegler and Gordon, a owner of Olde Towne Liquors here in Louisville. We blind tasted and rated 25 bourbons today and will do 19 Other American Whiskeys and Canadians on Thursday. The tastings were of whiskeys submited byb the distilleries for different categories. Today we did just bourbons and there were 10 with no age statement, 5 7 years old or younger and 10 8 years old and older. We were a nuetral panel with Juilian and Preston not submitting any whiskey because of shortages of whiskey for their brands. They decided they did not need the extra publicity.

There were several suprises today. The best whiskey I and several others rated today was actually Jim Beam Black. This whiskey was very good - actually better than the bottle behind the bar at the bistro, but it too was better than I expected, even though I always thought Jim Beam Black was the best Beam product other than Old Grand Dad. The next highest one I rated turned out to be Russell's Reserve.

On Thursday we will be tasting 11 Canadian and 8 American whiskeys other than bourbon. It looks to be an interesting day as well. I will keep you informed.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: World Whiskey Awards

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:46 pm

bourbonv wrote:There were several suprises today. The best whiskey I and several others rated today was actually Jim Beam Black. This whiskey was very good - actually better than the bottle behind the bar at the bistro, but it too was better than I expected, even though I always thought Jim Beam Black was the best Beam product other than Old Grand Dad. The next highest one I rated turned out to be Russell's Reserve.

ima not the least bit surprized. ima love Beam Black & Knob Creek!

:love10: :drink: :love4: :40oz: :heart: :beer: :thumbright: :cheers:
bunghole

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:26 pm

I think it's a mighty clear example of just how important Julian and his family have been to the high-end bourbon (and rye) sector that, without a Van Winkle product in the lineup, Jim Beam Black took first place!!

And he's right; Julian doesn't need publicity among any group already familar with his products. I'd give an HONORARY blue ribbon to him even without an entry.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 pm

I have always thought the best products out of the Beam line up are Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond and Jim Beam Black. It goes to show that good bourbon does not have to cost an arm and a leg.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions