Houston Area Stores

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Houston Area Stores

Unread postby rickduff » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Does anyone know of some good stores in the Houston Texas area for Bourbon and Collectible Scotch? I've got a friend of mine that owns a Scotch store in Scotland coming to the US and is asking. I know of Specs.. but was wondering if there are any other, perhaps smaller ones that might have something very old and interesting.

Thanks!

Rick
rickduff

Unread postby doubleblank » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Your friend needs to go to Spec's just to see it. 60,000 sq ft of wines, liquor and specialty groceries. They try to have everything currently available, but because they get so much traffic, they aren't (usually) a good source for older bottlings. An exception would be the several cases of ORVW 10/107 bottled in Lawrenceburg they recently found and put on the shelves.

For "collectibles", send him to Village Liquors on Wirt Road. Owner is Victor Patel and he's a scotch nut. He's always trying to sell me some of him scotch rareities. He has some hard to find bourbons too. WT Tributes signed by J Russell and even some WT 12yo but he marked his remaining bottles up after I bought a bunch of them. Victor has three stores and each has its own unique gems.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby doubleblank » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:36 pm

Let me add two things. Go to the downtown Spec's as the others don't compare.

For a whiskey and a smoke, send him to 10 Downing Street on Kirby Ave. They have a great selection of whiskys and bourbons and a walk in cigar shop inside the bar. The dark paneling and leather sofas and chairs reminds one of private club bars of days gone by. The bourbon selection will include Tribute, AH Hirsch, Stagg (and other BTAC bottlings), ETL, EC 12 and 18, etc, etc.
doubleblank

Houston Area Stores

Unread postby rickduff » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:57 pm

Thank you Randy and doubleblank!!
rickduff

Return to Bourbon Expeditions