Repeal Day 2006.

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Repeal Day 2006.

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:40 pm

There is less than 2 weeks for you to prepare your Repeal Day Parties for 2006. We already have plans here in Louisville with a Brown-Forman Repeal Day dinner at the Bourbon's Bistro, followed by Repeal Day drinking at the bar. It is going to be a great time and if you are near Louisville, feel free to come join us (at least for the drinking - I do believe the dinner is sold out).

What are the Repeal Day plans in New York, or Baltimore, or Virginia, or Nashville, or Cincinatti? December 5th will be upon us all before you know it, so lets here the plans!
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:11 am

Happy Repeal day! I hope everybody enjoys a few good drinks tonight to celebrate the day that america repealed the only admendment that took away personal freedom instead of guaranteeing a personal freedom.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:45 am

Gotta stay sober tonight (leaving for Key West at 3 am). However, I'm planning a "day after repeal day party" tomorrow night in Paradise wearing shorts instead of long underwear.
Joe :)
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:07 am

Joe,
Key West is a great place to celebrate repeal. During prohibition, a lot of speed boats left Key West to bring in spirits from ships outside of the U.S. Coast Guard's jurisdiction. Enjoy your time in the sun with some rum drinks and old bourbon.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Mike, myself and hopefully other bourbon society members, as well as anyone else will celebrate repeal day after the Brown-Foreman dinner tonight. I will try and get some pictures to post.
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby ChuckMick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:41 pm

bourbonv wrote:Happy Repeal day!

Happy repeal day!

Mike,

I also will be at the Brown Forman dinner and would be pleased to join you, Gayle and others, in celebrating the 22 amendment after the dinner.

See ya then
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:12 am

We had a great dinner and repeal day party afterwards last night. Chris Morris was in top form and is always an excellent speaker. He went with the repeal day theme all day with prohibition trivia and Old Forester/Jack Daniel's history as it related to prohibition. We started with Jack Daniel's Single Barrel and fried oysters. We then had Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and a salad with pineapple and almonds. Next we had Old Forester Signature with Sea Bass and Woodford Reserve with lamb. Dessert was braised pears and bread pudding with an Infusion of Apples, caramel and spices in Woodford Reserve. I did not care much for the Infusion - too lollypop cocktail for my taste, but the bread pudding was excellent.

We all retired to the bar for cigars and drinks to celebrate the repeal of the 21st admendment (Chuck wanted to celebrate the 22nd and with the Presidents we have had in my lifetime, I can understand why he is glad they have term limits!). Besides myself and Chuckmick, there was JD Knaebel and his wonderful wife Kirsten, Gayle Hack, and several members of the Bourbon Society sitting at our table. Charles Miller (cubacroc) missed the dinner but joined us at the bar afterwards. It was a great night so I took today off. I hope some of you can join us next year.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

My Repeal Night Toast

Unread postby Stoopsie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:09 pm

I raised a toast last night to the repeal of Prohibition with the oldest, post prohibition bottle I could find. It was a Mt Vernon Rye barreled in the spring of '35 and bottled in the fall of '41 in Baltimore. It was a wonderful experience.

To be able to have a taste from that era and all the wonderful American Whiskies from every era until the present, maybe not all in one night, this must to be the golden age for American Whiskey.
Attachments
DCP_4414a email.JPG
DCP_4414a email.JPG (154.64 KiB) Viewed 9819 times
Howie

Some people see the glass as half full, some see half empty, but I prefer to drink straight from the bottle.
Stoopsie

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm

So Howie,
Are you saying that now is the Golden Era of whiskey or that the repeal of prohibition was the golden era of whiskey?
Mike Veach
bourbonv

This IS the Golden Era

Unread postby Stoopsie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:07 pm

I think the present time is the golden era, because of all the wonderful whiskies that are on the shelves currently AND all the whiskies since prohibition that we are able to sample. The multitude of samples from previous times I have been able to taste have come through a myriad of sources especially those I have met from these types of forums. the dreaded ebay and just plain old word of mouth. We have 73 years of whiskeys to try and relish. How many new wonderful products have come out in the last year or the last 10 years for that matter, that were not around in the 50's, 60's and 70's, the so-called golden age of whiskey making. That is why the present IS the Golden era of American Whiskey Drinking.
Howie

Some people see the glass as half full, some see half empty, but I prefer to drink straight from the bottle.
Stoopsie

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:30 am

Howie,
What it sounds like to me is that you are saying that this is the Golden Age for drinking bourbon, not making it. There are plenty of old bottles still around now that won't be there 20 years from now and the next generation is simply screwed.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:45 am

ima spent Repeal Day evening at local pub called "Jazz Street" listening to a couple of my friends playing an acoustic set of jams.

The bar's selection was the usual foursome of Jack Black; Jim Beam white, Wild Turkey low octane, and Maker's Mark. Since I do not like Maker's and simply cannot abide 80 proof Turkey ima toasted the repeal and the great state of Utah with Beam. :roll:

The bartender and fellow barflys thought I was nuts, and of course they were correct. :lol:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

20 years from now...

Unread postby Stoopsie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:37 pm

You are making the assumption Mike that all of the older bourbon stocks will be gone or at least not on the liquor store shelves. Now that is probably correct since between the 2 forums we have numerous scavengers looking in the back rooms of stores and on the dusty lower and upper shelves. I am guilty of that pleasure. But how many on either forum has more than they can drink in there lifetime? Not necessarily right now but with all this other wonderful stuff coming out every month how soon do you think that even the prized possessions at the present will be moved to the back to make room for the newer "better" things. So what we have done is taking the dusty bottles from the liquor store and make it a dusty bottle in someones possessions. So in 20 years you will see a proliferation of kids selling of their parents belongings to move their parents into a smaller place, or "the home" or "the last move" or whatever euphemism you what. Now how many people have a collection like that? Okay I see numerous people raising their hands. My theory is that there is still more than enough to go around and this Golden Era of American Whiskey Drinking that started around the time of the release of the first Pappy 20yo will last long after you or I are gone. And I plan on enjoying every minute of it I can. And by the increasing number of members on both sites, I think that I will have a gang of people enjoying it along with me.
Howie

Stoopsie

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Howie,
You are assuming that the collections of whiskey owned by some people today, lasts long enough to be an estate item. I know of one collector who has stated that when he dies, there is going to be one hell of a wake, because he does not want to be buried until the last of his whiskey is drunk. Others simply open every new bottle they gat and do not plan on having an open bottle around when they die.

The fact is the old whiskey will dry up sometime and that time will be sooner rather than later. Within the next 20 to 50 years, prohibition era whiskey and whiskey from before WWII will probably be gone and the whiskey from the 50's and 60's and 70's will be scarce. My point is that if it is a goldern age now, it is for the drinker, not the producer. That decline started about 25 years ago.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions