Bourbon festival week (2006)

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon festival week (2006)

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:46 pm

I have been in contact with Mike and have made some plans for the week of the festival with him. I thought I would make my plans public here, should anybody want join in on the fun.

Monday September 11: Julian Van Winkle and Preston Van Winkle are doing a bourbon dinner at the Bourbon's Bistro. It was almost sold out last week and may be so by now. There was some thought about the date, but the decision was to get on with our lives while still respecting the event. I am sure Julian and Preston handle it with style and taste.

Tuesday 12: Mike gets into Louisville around 1:30 and I thought a trip to the distilleries in Shively would be a good start. I hope Chris Morris is free to give us a tour of Early Times that afternoon. After distillery tours, a trip to Jockey Silks with maybe trips to Maker's Mark Lounge and the Seelbach would round out the day.

Wednesday 13: We may flip flop the tours of Wednesday and Thursday should the need arise, but Mike needs to get to the Lawrenceburg/Frankfort area so an early start and tours of Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey and Bufallo Trace are planned. The evening would include dinner and drinks at the Bourbon's Bistro. I hope we can get a party of other members of the forum there on Wednesday night. Last year it was a very good time and it was followed by a very good time the Wednesday before the Sampler. I hope John and Linda will be tempted to come down for this even though they are leaving for Hawaii on Friday.

Thursday 14: Mike needs to get to the Oscar Getz Museum so I thought a trip down to Bardstown for the Getz Museum and Heaven Hill are definite trips. If time allows we can stop at Beam (a very short stop since there really is not much to see) and on down to Maker's Mark can be worked in as well. Dinner in Bardstown and then back to Louisville so that he can get home the next day.

Friday 15: The Bourbon Hall of Fame at Bufallo Trace is the big thing for me that day. I may start with the Four Roses "Let's talk Bourbon" event in the morning. I am sure there will be some celebration after the event as well, but I am not sure where at this point. Maybe back at the Bourbon's Bistro.

Saturday 16: The Master Distiller's Auction at the Getz Museum at 2:00 is my first order of business. After the auction there is a party / bar-b-que at Pen Bogert's house in Bardstown. He has a lovely old house built in the early-mid 1800's at First Street and Fitch. His backyard is huge and looks out towards My Old Kentucky Home. He is going to have some grills set up and I am making bourbon baked beans. He is a blues musician and his band is coming down to play as well. You all are invited to come and enjoy. Just bring some bourbon, soft drinks, chips or some other contribution to the pot and have fun.

That is my plans, so if you want to join in anything, let me know.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:39 pm

I can't begin to express my appreciation to Mike Veach for his hospitality. To be able to visit all these places with someone who knows the people and places like the back of his hand is a wonderful treat.

Thanks Mike........I hope we are joined by some of the other BE folks, that would be even more better!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:58 am

Mike,
This will be my pleasure. I think maybe we should talk MikeK into joining us. That way when someone yells for Mike we can all answer or ignore them, depending upon how much we have had to drink.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:04 am

Nothing would please me more than to be able to join you Gents for the Festival. Alas I've used up my bourbon boondoggle budget for this year. I will however make my best effort to contribute to the population of Mike's at the Festival next year. Have a drink or two or three for me, and I will do the same :D
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:43 am

MikeK,
I am sorry you will not be here. I am sure we will drink several toasts to you and any other people who are not here to join us in the fun and celebrations.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:32 pm

:40oz: :drink: :beer: :partyman: :cheers: :drunken: :sunny:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:15 pm

Yes, Bunghole, we will drink more than a few in your honor. I just wish you could join us this year. I am sure you would enjoy the night of bourbon and blues.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:42 pm

bourbonv wrote:Yes, Bunghole, we will drink more than a few in your honor. I just wish you could join us this year. I am sure you would enjoy the night of bourbon and blues.

Mike Veach

:thumbright: :bananarock: :hello2: :band: :thumbup: :yay: :salute:

:arrow: ima d. :angel7:
bunghole

Wednesday September 13

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:54 pm

Mike Veach,
Does it look like its a go for dinner and a get together at Bourbons Bistro on the 13th? Fricky and I will be flying into Louisville at about 2:00 pm. Would love to get together with y'all at the Bistro in the early evening. Please advise.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby NeoTexan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm up for it, if you don't mind. Just need to verify with wife.

Dale
NeoTexan

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:27 am

Definitely dinner at the Bistro on Wednesday night.I am planning several members of the Louisville Bourbon Society there as well as members of the forum. I thought I would invite Julian and Preston as well as a few other distillery people. Plan on about 7:00 on the patio.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby NeoTexan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:55 am

The boss says it's a go ..... see ya at 7
NeoTexan

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:16 am

Thats great NeoTexan! The more the merrier as they say. I will bring along a few bourbons to share and I think JD is planning a bourbon or two as well. Of course the bar has anything new you could possibly want. It will be a great time.

I talked with Pen Bogert yesterday about the party on Saturday the 16th. He has purchased hot dogs, hamburgers, and pork chops for the grills. He has two charcoal grills that he will have fired up and ready to cook by 5:30. I paln to have bourbon baked beans and a pot of vegtable soup. Brenda is going to make some burgoo. It will be a great party. As I said before, everyone from her is invited to join the party as we celebrate my Hall of Fame induction. Simply bring some chips or soft drinks and bourbon. If you live nearby and want to bring a dish please do. If you play an instrument, bring it along. I am expecting some good blues from Pen and his band, but maybe some bluegrass as well from Gayle and Martha.

For those who wish to come Pen lives in a very old, brick house (built in the early 1800's) at 201 First Street in Bardstown. John Fitch Avenue ends at First and Pen's house is almost straight across from Fitch. There is a big yard and I plan to have my white Jeep Wrangler parked there.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:44 pm

I guess I should emphasize that the Party at Pen's House on Saturday is open to everyone here who is at the Bourbon Festival on Saturday night. It will start after the auction at the Getz Museum and last until whenever. If you, like Gary, have Gala plans, don't let that stop you from coming by for a while afterwards. If you have gazebo plans, you can spend an hour or so at Pen's and still make it to the gazebo before it ends.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby doubleblank » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:52 am

I arrive in Louisville Wednesday afternoon and plan to stop by Bourbon's Bistro for a drink or two around 6:30pm. Koji is already in Louisville and will also try to join the group. See all tomorrow.

Randy
doubleblank

Next

Return to Bourbon Expeditions