Bourbon party in Louisville

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon party in Louisville

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:22 am

Yesterday I went to a bourbon cookout and tasting party hosted by Gayle Hack and his girlfriend Martha (A very talanted potter with her own pottery barn in the garage). JD (JDknaebel) and his wife Kirsten, Chuck (Chuckmick) and his wife Jean were also there. We had many bourbons that people brought along as well as food, corn hole (a bean bag toss game) and a little abnjo picking (Martha has many talents) with mandolin and guitar picking. A very good time was had by all.

I brought along for tasting purposes: Old Fitzgerald B-in-B 1964-1970, Weller Antique from the early 90's, Ezra Brooks made by Charles Medley in the 1980's, Jacobs Well, Jack Daniel's Black 90 proof, Four Roses Black Label, Woodford Reserve Batch 1 VIP, Bushmills single malt, single barrel unfiltered barrel proof Irish, and Cardhu Single malt Scotch.

Chuck brought along the three experimental bourbons from Buffalo Trace. JD brought an Old Fitzgerald Monticello decanter, Black Maple Hill 16 YO, Blanton's silver and Rebel Yell 90 proof.

JD and Chuck really wanted me to write down tasting notes for some of the products that I have not done notes for here and post them. You will find the notes already posted. The experimental bourbons were very interesting. We may have had a bad bottle, but we radically disagreed with the majority people and found the French Oak the least desirable, well actually undesirable. This was because of the terrible finish which could be called very medicinal and funky. The Black Maple Hill was very good with a long woody finish. A little more wood than I like personally but very good otherwise. The Blantons was very suprising for me. A higher proof than most Blantons but it did not have the extra flavor I expected with the higher proof. It was still a very good bourbon, but I expected more.

On the whole it was a very good day that ended with a speaker phones convsation with BrendaJ (who was invited but just returned from Colorado) and Gayle's brother Michael Hack in California joining us in spirit, if not in body. We are already planning the next get together in November since Gayle, Chuck, Michael Hack and myself all have birthdays in November. Stay tuned for a report on Scorpiofest.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Joeluka » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Sounds like a good time Mike. Here's a question I have to ask you, seeing how I find my tastes in line with yours, Is that BTEC worth $300-$350 to you. Would you say that I have to get a hold of them at all costs or is it all just hype.

By the way, Was the Weller Centenial your Baby when you worked at UD???
Joeluka

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:11 pm

I was offered the BTEC for $180.00, by a very good friend in Tennessee. I turned it down. Too much other stuff out there that I want for a lot less money.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:40 pm

In my opinion the experimental collection is worth the money for those that can afford it because the experiments need to be made and then made public. Would I spend that much for a bourbon that is never going to be readily available - No. Those small bottles of whiskey are very expensive and there are many other bourbons and ryes out there which I would rather spend money on and receive a full 750ml for the same cost. None of the three products were so outstanding in taste that I would pay $100.00 or more for a 375ml. At that price the buyer is a collector who has to have the whiskey in their collection or someone who simply wants bragging rights telling people "I have something that you don't have".

I was at United Distillers when the Heritage collection was put together. I gathered the history for the labels and was part of the tastings that picked the whiskey. Weller Centennial was one of my favorites, but I would have rather put that whiskey in the Very Special Old Fitzgerald since Old Fitzgerald was traditionally a bonded product and Weller was traditionally 90 proof. A switch of labels would have been my preferece. The marketing people vetoed my preference.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Okie Dokie folks...some photos of the event. Gayle sent 'em to me because I was so bummed to have missed it. He can tell you what's going on...
Attachments
Bourbons.JPG
Bourbons.JPG (89.79 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:27 pm

And...
Attachments
Ch4.jpg
Ch4.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
Ch3.jpg
Ch3.jpg (75.82 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
Ch2.jpg
Ch2.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
Ch1.jpg
Ch1.jpg (56.72 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby brendaj » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:30 pm

And Mike and I were there in spirit... :wave:
Attachments
Phones.JPG
Phones.JPG (33.37 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
brendaj

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:50 pm

Well, we had a BIG time! Attending were, (I hope i have all the spellings right) Chuck and Jean Micklewright, JD and Kirsten Knaebel, Mike Veach, Martha Rosenfeld and myself. Everyone brought food and bourbon, and as you can see by the first photo, there was plenty! Had some great tastings and food. We had a little cornhole , corntoss competition while tasting some great bourbons that Chuck, JD and Mike brought. We talked to Brenda who had just returned home, and my brother Michael called from California, so we just layed the phones side by side and Brenda and Michael had their own conversation while we all sat back, laughed and tasted. Great day, great people and great bourbons.

Gayle Hack
Bourbon HQ

Return to Bourbon Expeditions