Stop Ramblin, Stop Gamblin, Stop Staying Out Late At Night

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Stop Ramblin, Stop Gamblin, Stop Staying Out Late At Night

Unread postby Mike » Sun May 28, 2006 9:40 pm

My lovely wife and I just Rambled off into Tennessee, Missouri, and Kentucky (and a few other states along the way)

We visited the Civil War Battlefield at Shiloh, Tennessee........a very beautiful and moving place with clear echoes of the suffering that occurred there (about 1700 Union dead and the same number of Confederate dead). It was a major victory for U S Grant and the Union Army.

We visited St Louis with its long and illustrious history as a jumping off place for the westward expansion of America. Great city with lots of interesting museums and sites!

We spent time in Hannibal Missouri, birthplace of Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain), my favorite American of them all. He had that love of adventure; that skeptical turn of mind; that marvelous sense of humor; that beautiful turn of phrasing; that spellbinding story telling ability; that crusty distrust of the pompous; and that love of good whiskey that makes him a quintessential American.

On the return we stopped by Bowling Green Kentucky because Joe Bourbon said there was a good liquor store there................and Joe don't never tell no untruth!!

So in BG I got some 2005 George T Stagg (KY only release); some William Larue Weller; some 12 YO W L Weller; some Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO (just had to try Bunghole's favorite regular pour); some Van Winkle 13 YO Rye; and some Sazerac Rye.

I will be bombarding BE with reviews over the next week or so on my new found treasures.

In the classic 'Good Night Irene' folk/blues song by Leadbelly, he promises himself to 'Stop Ramblin, Stop Gamblin, and Stop Staying Out Late At Night', so he can win the young and forbidden Irene. In my turn I promise to Stop Gamblin and Stop Staying Out Late At Night..............but I ain't gone Stop Ramblin 'til I step in that BIG HOLE!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon May 29, 2006 11:10 am

Glad to hear that you liked the selection in Bowling Green. Did you happen to see the "special bottles" up high near the door that are not for sale?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Mon May 29, 2006 12:10 pm

Yeah Joe, I saw those bottles and I stole them!! They are in my safety deposit box so don't tell nobody!!

Sad to say, Joe, I didn't notice them. I have now had a wee sip from all the bourbons, but haven't gotten to the ryes yet.

By any measure that I know, the Stagg is top notch stuff. But I have to approach it with caution, since it has an afterburn that goes right down deep into my gullet where my acid reflux disease lives (thank God for Prilosec, else I wouldn't be a Bourbon drinker at all...........what a calamity that would be!). I would give up a lot (house; truck; chicken; crawling tractor; food; wife.....oops, no, not the wife; dog........well maybe me and Barleycorn could negotiate something here) before giving up Bourbon!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon Expeditions