Bourbon's Bistro Dinner

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby ChuckMick » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:47 pm

Brewer wrote:Someone's got to find out the deal with VOB 100 Proof; I hope it is just a rumor that they are going to DC the 100.

Not a rumor anymore but not entirely accurate either. VOB 100 is going to disappear from the shelves for a time. No information on how log it will not be produced so stock up soon.

Chuck
Bourbon is the elixir of choice
ChuckMick

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:20 am

It is Sunday morning and I have more time now to describe the dinner at the bistro. It was a modest gathering with BourbonJoe, Fricky, Gayle Hack, Lenell, Greg, BrendaJ, JDKnaebel, Chuckmick, John and Linda Lipman, Drew Kulsveen, his sister Brit and her husband Hunter and myself in attendance. We were often joined by people from the Bistro including John and Jason, the owners. The lovely Margo was our server and Kerry was behind the bar.

There were many things to drink. Several of us started with something from behind the bar and with a menu of over 130 bourbons, ryes and Tennessee whiskeys to choose from, everybody found something to suit their taste for the night. We adjourned to the outdoor patio, which got a little cool after darik but not bad as long as you were wearing a light jacket. JD pulled out an Old Ironsides decanter of Old Fitzgerald from 1972. I brought along for tasting purposes Old Charter 80 proof wheated bourbon for the Japanese grocery store market from about 1993, Van Winkle 13 yo rye from the very first year, Cabin Still from 1965, Eagle Rare single barrel and a small bottle of Rebel Yell 90 proof. Brend had some white dog from a small distiller she knows about, John had some whiskeys from some small distiller he knew about and visited in the last year or so. Kerry made a mint julep using the recipe he is using for the Early Times Mint Julep competition this week during the Derby Festival, except he substituted Michters for Early Times in honor of Fricky and BourbonJoe coming from Pennsylvania. Everybody had a meal and plenty to drink followed by cigars for those who endulge in such things. We toasted the Bourbon's Bistro's first anniversary and drankm one to thosse of you who could not join us.

People started filtering out about 11:00 but some of us lasted to closer to midnight. JD was still in the bar with Jason and John when I left at about a quarter till twelve.

I hope we can make these dinners a tradition and some of you will join us again on the Wednesday before the Bourbon Festival in September.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby jdknaebel » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:53 pm

With good Bourbon, friends and food, what more could you ask for? The Bourbons Bistro is a wonderful place for us to get together and I hope that these dinners become a tradition as well.

A good time was had by all. After this event we will have to change BourbonJoe's name to OLD FITZ. :D

Also attending the dinner with Lenell was Ben. I guess in all of the excitement Mike left him off of the list.

JD
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
jdknaebel

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Thanks JD, and sorry Ben and Lenell!

BourbonJoe and Fricky were looking at houses in Kentucky the last I heard. Maybe there names to KybourbonJoe and FricKY.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Mon May 01, 2006 9:37 am

Sounds like everybody had a great time...hopefully I'll be able to be in attendance next year!
Bob
Brewer

VOB-100 and Louisville

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon May 01, 2006 8:49 pm

Bob,
Got it right from Davis, the Master Distiller....VOB 100 is going away. Get it while you can. A bunch of us stocked up on it at the Sampler. Thanks to all you great people at the Bistro last Wednesday night for a warm welcome, some VERY fine bourbon and, above all, your warm hospitality.
Mike, JD, John, Linda, Chuck, Hack, Brenda, John, Jason, Drew, LeNell, Ben and everybody else:
THANK YOU.
Me and Fricky can't wait to do it again......maybe in September before the Festival.....who knows?
Regards to everybody,
Old F_TZ aka Joe
:urock:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby fricky » Tue May 02, 2006 7:22 am

I could not have said it any better. I had a wonderful time. The people were great, the food was great, and I had my first authentic Mint Julep. It was outstanding. Thank You
Doug
fricky

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 02, 2006 11:04 am

Joe and Doug,
Does this mean we should find a real estate agent for you? Kentucky is a nice place to retire to and you don't have to worry about hurricanes!

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Some pictures from the Bistro Dinner

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue May 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Here are some photos from that night. Hope to do it again in September.
Joe
Attachments
image13.jpg
image13.jpg (85.63 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
image12.jpg
image12.jpg (78.31 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
image9.jpg
image9.jpg (64.25 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
image6.jpg
image6.jpg (75.85 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
image3.jpg
image3.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
image0.jpg
image0.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Great photo's Joe! I had almost forgot about the Fiddle bottle! Opening that with Drew, Brit and Hunter was interesting. They had never had any of that whiskey before and were as pleasntly suprised as I was as to just how good that whiskey is (or is that was, John? Did you finish the bottle?).

Jphn is in the white shirt and Jason is in the black shirt in front at the big toast. They are the owners of the Bourbon's Bistro and we helped them celebrate their first birthday. Margo is the cute little blonde server in black who was also our server for the night. I think most everybody else will be recognized.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Thanks for the photos, Joe! It helps those of us that couldn't make it feel like a part of it anyway. I've never been to the bistro, and if I ever get back to Kentucky that's where ima going!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue May 02, 2006 8:46 pm

What a treat to visit the Bistro! Thanks to all who brought goodies to share, too. That Cabin Still and Old Ironsides made the dinner all the more special. Drew Kulsveen and sister Brit and her husband Hunter all joined us. The food was good and the bourbon list even better. Ben and I are finding it harder and harder to fight the urge to open our own bourbon bar up here to compliment the store's efforts.

Can't wait to do it again sometime!
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Previous

Return to Bourbon Expeditions