Sampler Information for a first timer

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Sampler Information for a first timer

Unread postby MikeK » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:55 pm

I am thinking about coming down for the Sampler and am looking for more information.

I’ve searched a number of websites and have come away with only passing information. (I have seen the recent posts about possible distillery tours and a Bistro dinner)

What exactly is the Sampler, what are the event(s), and where do they happen?

Is there any new information about BE events like distillery tours?

Is there any preferable lodging so that I would be at/near the events?

Is there anything I should bring or be prepared for? (I get the impression there is bottle trading)

What else do I need to know to make the most of the visit?

Thanks a lot!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:56 pm

Come on, no advice? You guys are being very antisocial. The only info I've gotten so far was a very nice and detailed direct email from a guy who isn't even a member of this board.

Even the Kentucy Bourbon Festival site doesn't tell you what the Sampler is. You can buy tickets, but they aren't going to tell you what for.

I think I've figured out most of it, but any additional inside hints would be appreciated by myself and anyone else out there who might want to attend, but won't, because they have no idea what this event is.

Thanks!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Mark » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:28 pm

Hey Mike, I wish I knew more about it but I don't either. :oops: Mike V. should really have a lot to say about it, maybe Chuck as well.

I know that LeNell and Mike V. have some things planned for this year, like a Four Roses Tour and a rare tour to Early Times. Also, Mike is hoping for a bunch of people to get together at the Bistro sometime.

I was supposed to be going for about 5-6 days but with Stacy due in early June I really need to use vacation then so it is looking slim I will be able to make it. I know LeNell can't make it on much with her busy schedule with the shop but if you see this LeNell please let everyone know what's going on and you too Mike. I guess it's about time we get some sort of an official sampler thing going. Once I see the info here or you send it to me I can make an announcement with the dates, times events etc.

:cheers:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:52 am

The Sampler event takes place on Saturday, April 29th night. We have a private tour lined up with Four Roses Friday morning, Barton's Thursday morning, and others in the works. I will be there Wednesday night through Sunday morning. Wednesday night is an outing to the Bistro in Louisville.

You can try making reservations at Best Western General Nelson where we are:
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/selectHotel.do

Go to http://www.visitbardstown.com to get ideas of things to do in the area. To get tickets to the Sampler event, go to http://www.kybourbonfestival.com.

Hope this helps!
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:57 pm

I had been planning to attend, recently I've been unsure whether I could attend, but now seeing that a Barton tour is set, I'm hoping I can make it. I've never been to the Sampler before, but from what I've heard, it is a good time.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby BSS » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:00 am

Just for informational purposes, the bridge on US-62 going over the Kentucky River right next to Wild Turkey will be closed for about 6 months. So if any of you all plan on going from Woodford Reserve to WT or the other direction, don't plan on using that bridge.
BSS

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:42 pm

Thank You!! You would have heard me cursing back in Bardstown if I had found out about this the hard way.

Thanks, Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby brendaj » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:45 pm

Hey Mike,
Geez I'm sorry not to answer you sooner.
The Sampler is when the distilleries get together, and draw for their spot on the lawn of Spalding Hall...
http://www.bourbonrecipes.com/about/getz.html
for the Bourbon Festival in September.

It's a huge bang for your Bourbon buck. Each distillery sets up a table. They give you samples of their different expressions. Even cooler, you get some one-on-one time with Master Distillers and company brass. In the last couple of years, area restaurants have jumped on board and are setting up tables between the distilleries tables, offering samples of their food. So, for $30 (went up this year...;-)) you get to stroll around, talk with Bourbon's MVPs, sample their latest and nibble on terrific food.

Up to now, it has been held in the Civil War Museum...
http://www.bardstown.com/~civilwar/
This year, it will be moved to the Nelson County Convention Center, on New Haven Road. Much larger space owned by Steve Hayden, who also owns Keene's Depot...
http://www.keeneshams.net/
A great place for Bourbon related food items, and excellent Bourbon Country Ham.

I haven't checked with the Best Western/General Nelson to see if they're full. That would be the place to stay if you can get in. If not, the Days Inn is right across the road from the Center.
http://www.daysinnofbardstown.com/
Looking forward to seeing everyone,
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 am

brendaj wrote:Hey Mike,
Geez I'm sorry not to answer you sooner.

No worries, I appreciate the info!

I booked my room at the GN a while back to be safe.
Looking forward to meeting everyone in person!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:24 am

Linda and John will be there Friday and Saturday. We're staying at the Jailer's this time, but we'll be bringing goodies to Nelson's Gazebo.
EllenJ

Unread postby MikeK » Fri May 12, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I was in KY Wednesday night -> Sunday and had a fantastic time. It was great to meet so many of you finally.

I finished up my "diary" of the trip at:
http://www.mkellstrand.com/whiskey/sampler_2006

I focus mostly on the "special" distillery tours since the social events have been so well covered here and on the "other" website.

Cheers!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri May 12, 2006 11:46 pm

Wow. Great notes and pics Mike. I don't even think I need to find that lost notebook of mine with all my scribbles.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby brendaj » Sat May 13, 2006 6:31 pm

Mike,
That page is just excellent! Thank you for putting it all in one place.

I had forgotten about the plum bob. How cool was that?
As many warehouses as I've traipsed thru in the last 5 or 6 years, that was a first for me.

And...sorry about the key thing... :roll: I was just sooo excited... :bounce: :lol:
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Mike » Sun May 14, 2006 12:51 pm

MikeK wrote:I finished up my "diary" of the trip
Mike

Beautiful job, Mike! Great pictures, great narrative, and great information! Thanks for sharing!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Sun May 14, 2006 4:34 pm

brendaj wrote:And...sorry about the key thing... :roll: I was just sooo excited... :bounce: :lol:
Bj

Ha ha! I just mentioned that in the story to mess with you. :lol:

I'm glad you're all enjoying the pages. Besides sharing the fun with those who couldn't make it, it forces me to make a permanent record for myself. Otherwise I'd forget what I did and what a great time I had!

Cheers,
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Return to Bourbon Expeditions