Atlas Liquors WhiskeyFest

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Atlas Liquors WhiskeyFest

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:07 pm

Last night was 9th annual Atlas Scotch Tour in Boston. http://www.atlasliquors.com/scotchtour05.html While Scotch may predominate at this event, there is usually a good amount of Bourbon as well. This is the biggest event of its type that I am aware of this side of NYC. If there is anything bigger, please show me some love and spill the beans.

Two important Bourbon revelations last night.

1) I don't like Michters. The 10yo bourbon was evil and the 10yo rye started out OK but turned evil. They both have a harsh rough quality to them. I like a bold and brash whiskey, but this just seemed wrong. Real frontier whiskey!

2) The Sazerac rep told me that he will have the new Stagg, Weller, Sazerac in the next week!!

Woo hoo!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Re: Atlas Liquors WhiskeyFest

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:32 pm

MikeK wrote:1) I don't like Michters. The 10yo bourbon was evil and the 10yo rye started out OK but turned evil. They both have a harsh rough quality to them. I like a bold and brash whiskey, but this just seemed wrong. Mike

Poor Mike!

That's not the real Michter's! That's just a mouth F#@KIG! It's just some low quality garbage in bottle that says Michter's on the label.

That's soooo sad! The real Michter's was a great, great bourbon. Some of it wasn't bourbon at all but three month old "Quarter Whiskey". All of it was pot stilled. No column stills allowed.

Just ask Harry Beam.

Oh! He's dead now.

:arrow: best ask ima! he knows these sort of things :!:
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:18 am

Linn,
I got to taste some of that pot stilled Michters in Nashville. Your right, it is soooooooo goooooooood. Do you know who's bottling the new stuff (bourbon) ? I live only about 12 miles from Schaefferstown where the original Michters was made. I guess I should have bunkered some years ago when I had the chance, but I was only drinking beer in them days. Too bad.
Joe :(
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:46 am

What a shame. I'd love to taste the real Michters sometime, is it long gone?

After getting orally violated (as suggested above) we ran for the nearest table with an Islay malt to flush the taste out of our mouths.

Who actually distills this stuff? It says Bardstown on the label, but it really didn't seem like the work of HH or Barton.

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:52 pm

I believe the current "Michters" is Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (Kulsveen) -- the bottle is the same as Stone Castle (Google for that story).

I've never tried the US1 or single barrels -- too pricey. I'm a big fan of the extra-aged Kulsveen stuff, though (Black Maple Hill and a slew of export-only labels.)

Original Michter's (the PA kind) is in bottles of AH Hirsch and every once in awhile on eBay (there's a half-pint for auction as we speak.)
BostonEnthusiast

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:53 pm

By coincidence this event seems to always fall on the birthday of one my oldest buddys. So being a good friend I spring for tickets and get him wrecked on very expensive Bourbon and Scotch on his birthday :)

A couple days later he emailed me with a list of what he recalls tasting that night. This fact alone seems to imply that I did not do my job. Anyway, the list is below in all its excessiveness. Since it was my job to call my wife for the ride home I (only) tasted about 2/3 of what he did.

Highland Park 12, 18, 25
Macallan Fine Oak 15
Macallan maple cordial

WL Weller 7
WL Weller 10
Elmer T Lee
Blantons
Eagle Rare

Balvenie 15
Balvenie Portwood 21
Glenfiddich 30

Talisker 12 (port finish)