Post Oscar Getz Auction Cookout

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Post Oscar Getz Auction Cookout

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:51 pm

I went to the festival for a while today and met Larry Carr and his son Alan, who flew down from New England to attend the festival, at the home of Pen Bogert. Pen is a librarian at the Filson and he and his wife moved to Bardstown last year and started restoring an old house on south 1st Street, near to downtown Bardstown. He has been kind enough to offer his place for a cookout on Saturday evening next year at the festival. Pen plays in a blues band and said he would invite the guys down for some music and yes Linn I told him about your musical talents and he wants you to bring your bass. He has a couple of charcoal grills, a huge yard with a view of the backside of My Old Kentucky Home in the distance and plenty of room for people and parking. I told him I would bring my bourbon baked beans and start inviting people, so consider this an invite.

I let Karl talk me into helping with the auction at the Getz Museum today and promised I would help again next year, so the plan is to start after the auction, say about 5:00, maybe a little earlier if the auction ends at about 4:00 as it did today. Karl said he would be there. Larry and Alan are in as well. I hope others people here will take advantage of this offer and join us. It will be nothing formal but it will be an evening with good food, bourbon and some home spun blues. For those attending the Gala, it will start in plenty of time for you to join us for a while and then go to the Gala.

Let's start making plans for next year.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:24 pm

Sounds WONDERFUL. Nothing beats B&B (Bourbon & Blues).
Joe :salute:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Brewer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:08 pm

Mike,

I don't know if I'll be there in September, but if I am, I'd love to participate. What else can you tell us non-attendees regarding this years events?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:01 pm

Bob,
I really did not attend much myself this year. I went to the press event, did the auction and spent time wandering the grounds and talking to friends. I came home home early on Saturday and on Friday I had a prior engagement at 6:30 so I left right after the press event.

It looked OK. There were more boths on the grounds than I have seen before. The bands in the beer garden were decent. It was Bardstown and that really about says it all.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions