Bourbon Festival 2004

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby doubleblank » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:12 am

Not much to add Dave....there were a few "historical" pictures in the visitors center. It was very airy and bright. By comparison, the BT expansion has better pictures and old bottles on display. This is not a derogatory comment....but the FR visitors center was very "japanese"...somewhat understated but well done. The improvements made to the distillery make it very accomodating to tours.....proper handrails everywhere.....lots of light....etc. No pipes to trip over!

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:02 am

So it's mainly just a gift shop and tasting room? No exhibits or other museum-type stuff?

Where is it, in relation to the main distillery building? Does it appear to be a new building or something that was retrofitted to serve as the visitor center?
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:06 am

cowdery wrote:So it's mainly just a gift shop and tasting room? No exhibits or other museum-type stuff?

More or less, yes, at least as of 9/04. Like Randy said, there are some pictures here and there, but it's nothing like the Stagg gallery at BT.

Where is it, in relation to the main distillery building? Does it appear to be a new building or something that was retrofitted to serve as the visitor center?

If you were standing facing the main distillery building, it would be on your right up the hill. I'm GUESSING it's new, but it might just be a very nicely renovated older building.

I'll second Randy's comments about the tour - very nice! Got to taste some white dog there, too!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby doubleblank » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:40 pm

I'm almost certain it is a renovated office building of some sort. That day was their grand opening and my guess is that there are now more exhibits placed where they had the single barrel tasting table set up. During the tour, they also encouraged you to taste the sweet mash as it was being piped into tanks.....just put your finger in and get a taste. Sweet corn cereal that was.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby jbohan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:33 pm

dgonano wrote:Gary and Bungy,

I'll be headin' down to Ol' Virginnie to pick some up. I have heard that is is only available in Ky and Va. Does anybody know differently? I see Binnys has some available and some other Internet sites but I guess the 10 star goes to some other states.

I occasionally see it at a couple of places I visit here in Georgia.
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Previous

Return to Bourbon Expeditions