Bourbon festival 2005

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon festival 2005

Unread postby parshooter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:26 am

Who's going? What events are you doing?
We have a group of 7 that will be at the Cigars, Bourbon, and Jazz event on Friday night. We will visit the new Bourbon Heritage museum Friday afternoon, and then go on to Louisville Saturday for a nice dinner and more bourbon and cigars. It would be great to meet some of you if time permits. Marc 8)
parshooter

Unread postby doubleblank » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:30 pm

We did the Bourbon, Cigars and Jazz event last year and enjoyed it. The band was so-so, but the food pretty good and, of course, the open bar was fine. The wife is staying home this year, so I'm not doing any "fancy" events, but am attending the Lets Talk Bourbon event at Four Roses with a friend who's new to bourbon. Will also definitely attend the auction at the Getz......although my check book says Noooo!

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:54 pm

We're going to have to sit this year out. Maybe 2006?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Chaz7 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:27 pm

This will be my first year. I am driving from Colorado to Indianapolis for a meeting the week before, and dropping down to enjoy myself. I am bringing my wife along, and although I've not purchased tickets, the Gala sounds like fun. Cigars, jazz and bourbon is a must!
Chaz7

Unread postby dgonano » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:03 pm

Kathy, Michael and I will be arriving on Wednesday of Festival week. Doing some distillery visits, bourbon hunting,etc. No formal events planned. We will be staying at the General Nelson.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:45 am

My Festival itinerary sounds similar to Dave's: arrive Wednesday, no formal events planned...just going to do tours and Gazebo nights. Except I'm up the street a bit at the Ramada.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby parshooter » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:50 pm

OneCubeOnly wrote: Except I'm up the street a bit at the Ramada.

Is that the old-time looking Ramada? I think that is where we are staying also.
parshooter

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:30 pm

Arriving midday Thursday and staying at least till Saturday, hopefully Sunday.
TNbourbon

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:22 pm

Is that the old-time looking Ramada? I think that is where we are staying also.

It's at 523 North Third Street...I stayed there last year. It's about a 15 minute walk (or 30 minute stumble!) from the gazebo. :lol:
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby parshooter » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:34 am

Well, I survived another Bourbon Festival. Had a little too much EC 18 at the cigar dinner on Friday night, but did enjoy it and the cigars and the food and the music just the same. Took the tour at Heaven Hill and got to see the new visitors center. Very nice. We went into Louisville Saturday, had a Pappy 20 at the bar at the Selbach (no cigar smoking in the bar area :( ), then we attempted to eat dinner at Maker's Mark restaurant. The seating there (where we were seated) is not designed for adults to eat dinner at. More like small tables in a cocktail lounge (what it actually was). So we had a drink and cigar there then went next door for dinner. Another great time in Kentucky, and since my best friend just moved to Louisville this summer, I will be back before next September to try other fine restaurants and bourbons 8)
parshooter

Fest 2005

Unread postby doubleblank » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:13 pm

As expected, we had a great time this year. Val stayed home, but Gregg, a good friend, was my co-pilot in the Rolling Copper Still. Highlights included:

Tasting from six SW barrels at BT. Bought two of them......with friends. 13yo's.

Barton tour.........and took home a "bottle" of 1792 SB to remember the tour. Gregg drank about 1/3 of it during the fest.

Tasted a 20yr old rye at HH......trying to get them to sell a barrel of it. WOW!

Watching Heinz, the german with "the best bourbon collection in the world", drool over several bottles I donated to the Getz. "Doz bottles beblongz in my collectzion.....vat do u vant for dem?"

Trading a David Nicholson from SW when Julian's family owned it for a 22 y 9 mo old Pappy that won't be bottled until it turns 23 yo this Dec. Julian didn't have one for his collection....now he does.

Saw many good friends again.....you NY'ers need to make the next one!

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:41 pm

Sounds like we missed a good time. We hated to miss out this year, but just couldn't swing the getaway. We hope to hit the Sampler, though, and already have some good tours in the line-up.
Looks like you had some nice ones this year yourself. Nice of you to part with that Nicholson to bring it back "home."
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby doubleblank » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:12 pm

Hey LeNell.....your get together looked like fun too. Good company and fine bourbon make a great combination. Have you let your hair grow out a little? Great pics of your event too.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby doubleblank » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:50 pm

Some of the Stitzel Weller bourbon we bought during the Fest finally arrived here in Houston. The barrel was very "light" and produced only nine cases. It was bottled as Weller 12yo but was in fact 160 months old. BT did a heck of a job refinishing the barrel and included it in the shipment. I've tasted through a bottle of it with friends and it has the cotton candy sweetness I always get from SW but less woodiness than one would expect from an older bourbon. Great stuff. Some will make it too the Sampler in April.

Randy
Attachments
100-0085_IMG (Small).JPG
100-0085_IMG (Small).JPG (26.99 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
doubleblank

Unread postby doubleblank » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:50 pm

A closeup of the bottles.
Attachments
100-0086_IMG (Small).JPG
100-0086_IMG (Small).JPG (48.14 KiB) Viewed 10180 times
doubleblank

Next