Bourbon expeditions outside of Kentucky

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon expeditions outside of Kentucky

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:43 pm

I have discussed the Bourbon's Bistro and the Maker's Mark bar here in this forum and if you are in Louisville I hope you do take time to check them out. My question for the rest of you is what is your favorite bourbon bar or at least favorite bar with a good selection of bourbon in your area? Some of us may find ourselves in your neck of the woods and want a good place to sip a bourbon. How about it Gary, what's the best place in neighborhood? Or Howie, where do you go in Baltimore or D.C.? Mike might know a good place in Atlanta or Tim a good bar in Nashville. Share with us. Give us a name, general location in the city, and price range as well as selection.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Dave » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:39 pm

In any local bar (ie 250 mile radius) the best I'll do for bourbon is JB white, WT, or perhaps Maker's.

The closest whiskey bar to me is Seattle, WA. "FX McRory's" located in the Pioneer Square district of Seattle. From Victoria, it's a 2 hour ferry ride, then a 2.5 hour drive.

They specialize in a HUGE selection of whiskeys, as well as inumerable craft ales pulled from the tap bar. Last time I was there they had a number of Hirsch's including a rye, plus all the van winkle expressions etc. etc.

Just down the street is the home of micro brewer Pyramid Ales. They used to have fantastic brewery tours where one could imbibe "on the house" while exploring the inner workings. However they have since moved their brewing to the central location in San Francisco.
Attachments
fxbar.jpg
fxbar.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 11913 times
Dave

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:08 pm

Dave, last time I was in Victoria (nine years ago), you had some great brew pubs there? Are they not still there?

My wife and I have made a couple of visits to Victoria and just love it. When she retires in less than 2 years, I am sure we will return for another visit.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Dave » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:11 am

Mike, oh OH yes, we have some great brew pubs here. Spinnakers is actually the first in Canada as a brew-on-premise. Then of course there's also Swan's which also offers nightly entertainment (I like Wednesday nights when 72oz jugs are on special for $8.10). They've just renovated their hotel and are offering $50 OFF per night for this month only (local's special or some such thing). If you haven't been here in 9 years, you'd be delighted in the other offerings as well.... the industry has exploded BUT the city and its charm remains the same.

Make some plans to come and visit us in January of 2006... The first Annual Victoria Whiskey Festival... the largest of its kind ever to appear in the Pacific Northwest. (Buffalo Trace will be there!)
Dave

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:44 am

Best whiskey bar in Toronto is Allens run by the genial and skilled restaurateur John Maxwell, orginally a native of New York City. See http://www.allens.to. After that a number of places come to mind notably The Feathers in east Toronto (mostly Scotch whisky) and Rebel House which despite the name is smack in the middle of tony Rosedale, one of Canada's wealthiest districts. Those 3 are the best with a gaggle of places that follow including Sheraton Centre downtown which has a number of older-school bartenders. But far and away Allens is best. Say hi to John for me if you drop by.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:17 am

I don't go to bars too often, but the best overall place that I know of is dba in Manhattan. They have a HUGE selection of beer & whiskies. I've been told that there's quite a few cool bars opening up in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. And there's the bar that LeNell speaks of in Red Hook.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:27 am

I don't recall the name of the brew pub I remember the most. It overlooks the entrance to the harbon. As I recall, they had an oatmeal stout that was great. And then there was the view of the harbor, with the commuter seaplanes coming in and out. I can't recall for sure if you could see the parliament building and the Empress or not from there or not. But what a beautiful site and great beer.

When we were there we drove all the way up Vancouver Island, took the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, and then drove back down to Vancouver (about 1100 miles). It was in August and we were treated to the 100 degree BC desert heat. We stopped along the way and had a few good interior beers (Okanogan?), and saw the farms growing what I presume was Cascade Hops. I like Cascade Hops myself, I think Sierra Nevada uses them. Beer don't get much better than Celebration Ale IMHO!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby doubleblank » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:01 am

We have a wonderful whiskey(y) and cigar bar called 10 Downing Street here in Houston. As the name implies, their scotch selection is phenomenal but so is the bourbon. Lots of dark wood, leather chairs, hiigh ceilings. And a walk-in humidor to boot for your smoking pleasure. Lots of those overhead smoke vents to help keep the air clean. Last time I was there we had some Tribute (from a bottle signed by the man), and a 2002 Stagg. All the Van Winkles, Hancock, ETL, etc, etc. The only bourbons missing at the time were the BMH's. Its on Kirby in a good location for dining, etc.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:31 am

Whisky Magazine is going to start doing a feature every month and the world's best whisk(e)y bars. They were at the Bourbon Fest and went to the Bourbon's Bistro and promised the owners they would be in the first batch of reviews. Now is the time to brag a little about your favorite whiskey bars in your city and send a message to Whisky Magazine.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:54 am

Mike, the very best bourbon bar in Virginia is the Angelshare's 'whiskey room' in Luray. It's a private club - Invatation Only.

Luckily ima gets invited quite often. :thumbup:

Happy Little Stuart's Draft Virginia has no bars. We have barns, but sadly no bars. The closest bars are on the county pokey in Verona - the county seat. Don't ask me how I know.

Work Release = Second Chance. Shower at work. Sleep with your pants on. Don't snore with your mouth open!

To survive prison as a rectal virgin send a LARGE donation to:

:arrow: imabunghole :smilebox:
bunghole

Re: Bourbon expeditions outside of Kentucky

Unread postby MrPresident » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am

Hello. I'll be spending a few days in the Atlanta area (Marrietta to be exact) for business and would love to know of a good place to enjoy a bourbon in the evenings. Any recommendations?
MrPresident

Return to Bourbon Expeditions