Redneck on the road,,,

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Redneck on the road,,,

Unread postby sevenmag » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:38 pm

August 4-7.

I know it's not much of a Bourbon Expidetion, but the wife and I will be in Kentucky and Tennessee August 4th through the 7th doing the 400 mile yard sale. I'm not that big a fan of the all the flea markets, yard sales and antique dealers, but I am a big fan of finding a little pieces of Tobaciana and rural booze stores with hidden treasures. And I'm an even bigger fan of sitting on the porches of the cabins in the mountains she books us in and sipping bourbon, smoking cigars, and then there's just being cooped up in a cabin with a little redhead. :wink:

Anyhoo, can you guys give some idea of the average prices in those states of a few brands like,

Booker's
Blanton's Original
WT Kentucky Spirit
Eagle Rare 10 and 17
Knob Creek
Virginia Gentleman
And whatever else you might suggest.

I'm used to having it broke off in me at the Alabama State Stores and I don't want to volunarily take one for the team while on vacation.

Oh yea, and wile you're at it, give me few hard to find things to look for while I'm there.
sevenmag

Unread postby Mark » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:07 pm

Very cool, enjoy the trip! I can't help you with up to date prices unfortunately in those areas but I'd keep an eye out for Wild Turkey 12yo and Weller 19yo. Some smaller shops may still have some around, you never know. A good price on the wt12 would be in my opinion up to $45 and for the Weller 19 $50. If you happen upon any Weller 19 and dont want it for yourself I'm always trying to find another bottle :lol: The one damn thing I didn't get but an extra or 2 of when it was still available. Man, I love that stuff. :tonqe:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:12 pm

Mark wrote:... A good price on the wt12 would be in my opinion up to $45 and for the Weller 19 $50...

Dream on, Mark! :lol: I've never found Wild Turkey 12yo in Tennessee below $48 or above $56 -- then you add the sales tax, which ranges locally between 9.25% and 9.75% (yep, we pay almost 10% on school clothes and Pampers!). On the other hand, I HAVE found it.
As for Weller 19yo, I did see 4 bottles in a Bowling Green, KY store in April -- @ $225 each! :shock:
Sevenmag, some good news and some bad news -- I work in a TN liquor store part-time, and have been bourbon-scouting central Tennessee for some time. There are good things to be had. But, many of the rural counties through which the annual X-Mile Yard Sale traverses might not contain many. It is the rural counties in Tennessee (and in KY) that are more likely to be dry in terms of liquor sales (beer might be available). That's not universally true, but generally so. Keep your eyes out, but you may have to stray off-course and hit fair-sized cities.
That said, I've found WT12, AAA 10yo, old tax-stamped versions of about anything (buy 'em -- they generally were entered into barrels at lower proof, so are deeper-flavored bourbon), Hirsch 16 (though never Hirsch 20 -- that was in Indiana :D), Stitzel-Weller Old Fitz (look for DSP-KY-16 on the label of any BIB bottling), older Evan Williams Single Barrels (as far back as '89), past years' Old Forester Birthday Bourbons, Batch 1s of Woodford Reserve and Sam Houston, and National Distillers' bottlings of Old Taylor, Old Crow and Old Grand-Dad. Others, too, I'm sure, that don't come to mind right now.
Tennessee is a private license (not control) state, so many things -- almost anything -- is available, though not all things will be available in the same store.
Good hunting!
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mark » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:54 pm

TNbourbon wrote:
Mark wrote:... A good price on the wt12 would be in my opinion up to $45 and for the Weller 19 $50...

As for Weller 19yo, I did see 4 bottles in a Bowling Green, KY store in April -- @ $225 each! :shock:

:omg:

Even though its not made any longer and it is a very good product, THAT is outrageous... On principle I hope those bottles sit there for many years to come.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby sevenmag » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:53 am

I'm on a budget with this trip and I think it goes without saying that $225 won't fall into said budget. :shock: But I'd happily drop 50 on some WT12.

I'll be perfectly happy to pick up a couple of bottles of easy to find stuff that's not available and just priced better than it would be here. Tripping over something else would a bonus.
sevenmag

Return to Bourbon Expeditions