Bombergers/Michters Distillery

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Bombergers/Michters Distillery

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Of course a drive-by is no problem, but I understood initially there would be a walk-through, which won't happen now. I'll drive by at some point on the upcoming trip, but we can leave the detailed talks to the deck at Joe's!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu May 22, 2014 5:31 pm

...and I'll be happy to answer all your Michter's questions and I'll share some stories that Mr. Stoll has told me.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Looking forward to this, Ethan. Your deep interest in the history of this distillery is much appreciated. You have assisted to capture a moment in American distilling history that was unique and characterized by a fabulous keynote product, Michter's Original Sour Mash. As a token of my appreciation, I will give you an (empty) half-pint Michter's jug I have that was given to me years ago at an SB "gazebo". On the base it says: 3-D-42 #153 and has the lyrical description on the side about Rosen rye and sealing in custom-made casks, etc. It deserves a place in your collection, and will find its natural home there.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu May 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Cool! Thank you.

The custom made casks? They were custom all right- a.k.a. re-used rye and bourbon barrels! There was so much marketing lingo that propped up the Michter's line it's not even funny. Not to downplay the quality of the product though! Michter's is some of the finest 86 proof whiskey ever made in my opinion. However, the whole story of Michter's is just marketing hype. I'll explain in a few weeks.....
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Really sad to see that Michter's has been reduced to not much more than an old shack that a strong wind will soon blow down. :cry:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Previous

Return to Bourbon Expeditions