My Kentucky Trip

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

My Kentucky Trip

Unread postby Roscoe » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Well, I drove down to Kentucky last month from New Jersey. Beautiful ride, especially through West Virginia. I work for a family owned three store chain; our largest store is 24k square feet. The manufacturer's reps booked me in Lexington for a few days. Another rep booked me in Louisville for another few days and my employer paid my travel is good. I visited eight distilleries and was sipping white dog right out of the still at Buffalo Trace.

Everyone gave me the VIP treatment and I picked up a lot of goodies from each distillery including signed bottles, tasting glasses and polos. Al Young of Four Roses also gave me a signed copy of his book on the history of the distillery. Ate some good BBQ and every bar/restaurant I was in had a complete compliment of Pappy.

I was surprised at how small Woodford is. Very quaint and bucolic setting. They only use one aging warehouse that's only about 5-6 stories high. Most of the buildings are over 100 years old and constructed of local limestone.

Buffalo Trace is huge. They opened a nice BBQ place in the old firehouse. Great pulled pork and a local root beer.

Four Roses is another quaint setting with Spanish architecture.

At all the distilleries, I was told to wait until the tourists left the tasting rooms and they would always break out some special spirit for me.

Some pics at ... rbon3a.htm
and ... urbon4.htm

"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber

Re: My Kentucky Trip

Unread postby devilscut » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Good photos. I live in Louisville, so I'm down there a lot.

Return to Bourbon Expeditions