Miller House, Owensboro, Ky.

Share your bourbon related travel stories with us here.

Moderator: Squire

Miller House, Owensboro, Ky.

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 pm

A few weeks back I had the pleasure of meeting Vince for a few drinks at the bar at the Miller House restraunt in Owensboro, Ky. I was in town to do a tasting that was auctioned off to raise money for Girls, Inc. and had emailed Vince asking if he wanted to get together for a drink. He suggested the Miller House and I told him I would be there by 4:00 Central Time. They were just opening the doors when I arrived and we went down to the basement area to the bar.

This is an excellent bar with a wide range of bourbons. I started with an Old Grand Dad bonded. Vince laughed and told the story that it was a new addition because when Bernie Lubbers was there for a drink before the Owensboro Bourbon Society meeting, he was disappointed that they did not have the Bonded Old Grand Dad and had to drink the 114 proof version. I had the maiden pour from the bottle. The bar had well over 50 bourbons and a stack of Glencairn glasses on the bar with the Miller House logo on them (I was tempted to steal one for my collection, but resisted the temptation). The bartender was busy setting up and Vince and I had a chance to talk some small talk until the owner and the bar manager showed up. Then I got a full history of the place and I am impressed by what I heard. They are doing southern cooking with some bourbon dishes. They have a well stocked bourbon bar and they are doing bourbon themed events. I am definetly going back the next time I am in Owensboro. I finished the night with some Weller Special Reserve and I took Vince and company out to show them the bourbons for the tasting I was doing. I talked Vince into coming to the tasting as an assistant, for which I am gratefull as he did an excellent job and made my night easier. It was a good night and it was made even better by a stop at the Miller House.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Miller House, Owensboro, Ky.

Unread postby vince » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Mike

We loved having you in Owensboro! I cant thank you enough for talking me into being your assistant for the Girls, Inc event. I owe you a dinner! I called the Filson regarding your bourbon event on March 3rd. The tickets werent available yet but I am planning on coming. I will also see you at the Woodford Academy!
For those who havent had the pleasure of being a participant in one of Mike's bourbon tastings you are really missing something. His knowledge of the industry and history of bourbon is unparralleled. It is an experience just having a glass of bourbon with him, very enjoyable and comfortable.
vince

Re: Miller House, Owensboro, Ky.

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Vince,
The registration is set up for the Filson Bourbon Academy, so please make your reservations soon. It is filling up with three people from Chicago, one from New york and of course, John and Linda from West Chester.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Expeditions