Leopold Bros American Whiskey

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Leopold Bros American Whiskey

Unread postby T Comp » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:17 am

This, my first craft distilled purchase is from Barrel No. 3, 86 proof and was a little over the $30 mark on a shelf in Colorado last August. The label says it is pot distilled from open fermented sour mash. The neck tag calls it pre-prohibition style American Whiskey. The tag also contains more details on distillation which can also be found on their web site. I was drawn in the most by the stated barrelling proof of 98. There is no mention of age in the barrel but I'd guess less than a year and it's color is light. Todd Leopold is a member here and posted they were not using small barrels. He also relates that this is a bourbon though they chose not to label as such.

The nose and taste are true to one another. The first opening notes I get are a lot of yeast/fresh dough. Grain is there but in the background with a slight rye zing. Corn is more hidden to me but the sweetness is present, balanced and deliciously light brown sugar. Fruit is also there in strawberry and baking apple. Little to no alcohol flavors. This is a very light and delicate whiskey which for a former wine guy would be as a Rose to a Cabernet. No ice or water needed here. There is not much on the back of the tongue and I would like a longer aftertaste. I'd love to taste this with a few years of age on it. A very nice opening effort for the first fruitless whiskey from the Leopold's and I am not disappointed.
T Comp

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings