Benchmark Single Barrel

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:05 pm

bourbonv wrote:Linn,
I agree that Blanton's is pretty consistant, but I have had it the Whisky Magazine tastings, and it is even better than most bottles off the shelf. The bottles off the shelf do vary some in my experience.

Mike Veach

OK Mike so which so called single barrel sugests to you that it is vatted?

Does it have anything to do with a Hill in Heaven?

:arrow: ima :king:
bunghole

Unread postby jbohan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:07 pm

As to the consistency of Blanton's there's another case where we can go right to the source and ask Elmer how he is able to achieve that. He came up with the concept and still chooses the barrels that go into Blanton's (I believe) and he is still around.
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:14 pm

I, too, thought at first he means the Evan Williams, because it IS pretty consistent within a single year, though it does vary from year to year, albeit sometimes slightly. However, the EWSB has the barrel # on the label, as well as the barreling/bottling dates. That's too much information to cheat, because it has to be trackable somewhere in the distillery's paperwork.
Or no?
TNbourbon

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:40 pm

I'm sure many of you guys have seen Heaven Hill's apparatus for dumping and bottling their single barrel products. From what I've been told it's pretty clear cut...the only fudging is any remainder of the previous barrel that might be in the tail end of the line (ie. they don't do a total purge between barrels).

I'm a believer. I credit the superb palate of the distillers to determine which barrels make the cut. More uniform to me = better discriminating.
OneCubeOnly

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings