Birthday Bourbon '09 - incredible value - still out there

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Birthday Bourbon '09 - incredible value - still out there

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:38 pm

At well under $40 (in my neck oif the woods), there is still some '09 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon to be had. I believe this bourbon compares well against ANY bourbon out there on the market today. It has great balance, subtle yet robust layers of flavor in a complex array, generous sweetness and spice, and a perfect finish. It packs as much flavor into a 94 proof bourbon as any of which I am aware.

Anyone who has not tried BB '09 should give it a try. In my opinion, It is a worthy example of what making great bourbon is about, and, it is at a reasonable price point.

Looking for dusties? Put a few of these on your shelf and let them gather their own dust...........15 years out you will thank your own self for being so farsighted.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Birthday Bourbon '09 - incredible value - still out there

Unread postby vince » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 am

Mike

I totally agree, this is a masterpiece of a bourbon. Complex, full bodied with hints of cherry. Great, great bourbon. I purchased three bottles, finished the first. I have two bottles left and am looking forward to sipping on them for many years to come!
vince

Unread postby gauze » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:04 pm

I haven't seen this, would like to try it though, anyone know if Julio's has it?

I saw 3 more bottles of 2004 BB the other day at a store that had previously been out. I think whoever is stocking the shelves is alternating between a box with 2004 and 2006 boxes or something.
gauze

Unread postby SourMashManifesto » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 am

Honestly I couldn't disagree more about the '09 Birthday Bourbon. As a devoted drinker of the stuff (I get a bottle every year on my.......Birthday), I was sorely disappointed in the 2009 release. Extremely harsh product in comparison to years prior. They peaked for me in 2007 in a big way and then we've really seen 2 down years. I'm anxious to try 2010, but honestly $40 is better spent elsewhere. Lots of far better bourbons for the money.
SourMashManifesto

Unread postby SourMashManifesto » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:05 am

I'd stock up on that 2004 and 2006 though - excellent years as well.
SourMashManifesto

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 pm

SourMashManifesto wrote:Honestly I couldn't disagree more about the '09 Birthday Bourbon. As a devoted drinker of the stuff (I get a bottle every year on my.......Birthday), I was sorely disappointed in the 2009 release. Extremely harsh product in comparison to years prior. They peaked for me in 2007 in a big way and then we've really seen 2 down years. I'm anxious to try 2010, but honestly $40 is better spent elsewhere. Lots of far better bourbons for the money.

Try the 2010. It's great.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby sailor22 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

As an example of how different taste can be - I'm going to say that '03 and '08 are the only two I would (and have) buy again. I thought the '08 was special, the '07 and '09 were given away or used in vatting in an attempt to mask the taste.
Different strokes ......
sailor22

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings