My Pappy 15 YO Review

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

My Pappy 15 YO Review

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:13 pm

As has been the case several times recently with bourbons that I have reviewed, the bourbon is better than the reviewer.

I have undertaken these recent reviews because in doing so I realized that it was increasing my knowledge and appreciation of bourbon (like the man said). Plus it was fun to compose them. The first time or two, I was not sure of myself..........then I thought, what the hell.........

I took on the Pappy 15 review with a bit of trepidation. There are so many Pappy fans out there and anyone who has seen my posts knows that I have been among the loudest in my praise of them. I was afraid I could not do it justice.

However, doing reviews and trying many bourbons, I find myself realizing that the Van Winkle bourbons are not alone in being great.

There is no 'best' bourbon! Numeric rankings are not good. I hope you will never hear anything more than 'top shelf', 'middle shelf', or 'bottom shelf' from me. There are many great bourbons from which you can choose, and one of these will be just right on any given occasion.

The veterans have, of course, said this all along. But, it is one of those thing you have to learn for yourself.

There are many, many worthy bourbons out there that give pleasure and satisfaction. Those of you who have not done reviews, jump in and share your satisfactions......... and, dissatisfactions! You will be glad you did!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby tlsmothers » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:42 am

Good points well made. I haven't been as active in reviews as I had planned as life keeps getting in the way. However, an emptying out of a Pappy 20 tonight reminded me that those reviews are good for making us slow down and savor the moments.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings