Basil Hayden

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Basil Hayden

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:36 pm

I was just reading Mike's review of Basil Hayden and I thought he was too kind in his words. I know my first review of this product caused me to coin the term "Brown Vodka". It has so little flavor it might as well be a Vodka, in my opinion. Anybody want to discuss this opinion? I know I have had several fans of this bourbon disagree with me before...

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:53 pm

Mr. Veach,

Please don't tell me you think you coined (as in originated, created, started, launched) the term "brown vodka." That term has been applied to Canadian and American Blended whiskies since before you were born. Maybe you meant to say "use" or "apply."
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: Basil Hayden

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:33 pm

bourbonv wrote:I was just reading Mike's review of Basil Hayden and I thought he was too kind in his words. I know my first review of this product caused me to coin the term "Brown Vodka". It has so little flavor it might as well be a Vodka, in my opinion. Anybody want to discuss this opinion? I know I have had several fans of this bourbon disagree with me before...

Mike Veach

Although it is certainly not one of my favorites and I never buy it, calling it Brown Vodka might be hyperbolic. It is certainly lacking in many respects, but it's not that offensive in a pinch and, to my tastes, is obviously bourbon.
TrueBarrel

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:01 pm

I've gotten to the point where ANY 80-proof expression is just plain boring. It reminds me of that M*A*S*H episode where the visiting surgeon says "back home my momma would sprinkle that on the ironin' board!"

Four Roses Yellow Label is the same way. It's a shame too, because at a higher bottling proof I bet they'd both shine.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:12 pm

I've only had Basil Hayden's once at a tasting that I hosted. A friend brought the BH. It received a "thumbs down" from everyone. I really don't recall the specifics of why it got my negative vote, but I've never had the opportunity to taste it again, so I'll just have to let that vote stand.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:07 pm

Actually, I think the review is dead-on. Basil Hayden's is many things, including:

-Simple
-Overpriced
-My least favorite of the Beam small batches

...but it is not bad. It is a unique member of the Beam small batch quartet, not a weaker, watered down version of any of the others. I certainly do not mean to say that Mike Veach is "wrong," as he has pointed out many times that taste is entirely individual and subjective. I just mean that my subjective impression of BH is right in line with this review.

I have one (admittedly, just one) friend who calls BH his Beam small batch favorite. I do think there is a flavor profile that appeals to some folks.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:13 pm

I think we all seem to agree, there are loads of better bourbons out there and not much point in making this a companion.

While I am not quite ready to go as far as OneCubeOnly with the 80 proofers, I have entertained that same sentiment.

But, I suspect there is some 80 proof bourbon out there that I ain't had yet that will be excellent.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings