Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve - 15 Year Old - 107 Proof

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve - 15 Year Old - 107 Proof

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:07 pm

This is a simple 'in praise of' thread. The sun is shining and it's 65 degrees in March! I picked this bottle up in Kentucky this past January and just opened it this afternoon.

It is nothing short of spectacular! I think I even like it better than Pappy 20! :shock:

Anyway I think Pappy 15 - 107 is an all time great Bourbon. I need more. Many more! Thousands of bottles more!

I broke out a two year old original issue Oliva Master Blends Churchill. A match made in heaven. Pappy would have really enjoyed this vitola.

Please pardon my ecstasy, but I've got to somehow summon up the spiritual strength to put this bottle away until I can find the time to post a formal tasting. Then I apply for a loan to buy 5,000 bottles!

If this won't make you shout PANTS AWAY, BABY! Nothing will. :thumbup:

:arrow: ima :drunken:
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:15 pm

I'll cosign that loan with you. ORVW 15 YO is the 'sine qua non' of bourbons..........that's Latin for 'this is some good sh _ _, I mean really good sh _ _!

'My' liquor store is out of the ORVW, but has the new Pappy 15 YO, ain't tried it yet.

Howsomever, I think I know where there is still a bottle or two. My hen house and crawlin tractor are already in hock and the dog is now working a 40 hour week..........but, damn, I need to get me some mo of that 'sine quo non' stuff!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:34 pm

Mike,

I can bearly read and write English - so save the latin for our lawyers; doctors, & pharmacists.

The new 'Pappy' 15y.o. - 107 proof totally kicks a$$ over the old Rip Van Winkle 15 year old.

It's KILLER!

:arrow: ima :drink:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:38 pm

Linn,
Julian told me that he let Preston have a huge role in picking this whiskey. I guess he wanted to see how well Preston would do, and I would say he passed with flying colors. The family business is going to be in great hands when the next generation takes over.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:39 pm

Blasphemy, blasphemy, I say.................still you got my interest up........if it is more better...........I'll, ah............I'll, ah............I'll think of something!!
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:01 pm

bourbonv wrote:Linn,
Julian told me that he let Preston have a huge role in picking this whiskey. I guess he wanted to see how well Preston would do, and I would say he passed with flying colors. The family business is going to be in great hands when the next generation takes over.
Mike Veach

Professor Veach,

I've had the pleasure of meeting Preston twice, and I'd say the family is in great hands. He's a sharp young man, and quick with a laugh (that's important!) He was more than kind when I engaged him in typical 'bourbo-banter'. A winning smile and a quick wit. Preston is the modern day 'Pappy'!

I do hope that Buffalo Trace and Julian III can get the recipe right, but without the 'sweet spots' in the old Stizel-Weller rackhouses how can the 'Pappy' line of Fine Bourbons continue?

:arrow: imagettinworriednow :scratch:
bunghole

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:52 am

I was able to get a couple of bottles of PVW-FR-15 from a barrel purchase of a local merchant. I found the barrel purchase to be slightly drier than ORVW15 and further drier were the tastes I had of the actual standardized bottles of FR-15.

When I spoke to Preston he acknowledged that this selection is a tad "drier" characteristically speaking. Over all I like the newer version a lot but am reluctant to choose over the ORVW15. Maybe I'm just old and stuborn, but I loved the ORVW15 bottles I had purchased recently. When the last drop is gone - it will be mourned for sure!
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:50 pm

bunghole wrote:Mike,

I can bearly read and write English - so save the latin for our lawyers; doctors, & pharmacists.

Bunghole, I hate to take issue with you, but I was just rereading some of your reviews. You ain't no slouch with words!
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Mike wrote:
bunghole wrote:Mike,

Bunghole, I hate to take issue with you, but I was just rereading some of your reviews. You ain't no slouch with words!

Pffft! That's just honest opinon on my part. Honesty requires deft articulation. Sure I can 'turn a word' or 'coin a phrase' such as "Pants Away, Baby!" or "Bourbo-Bunker".

Or I might give new meaning to something as simple as HUZZAH! or change "Have Gun. Will Travel" into "Have Shotglass. Will Travel", but that is all something just short of intellectual theft.

I guess the fact that I was a very poor pupil and had to repeat, 8th grade and also 9th grade English that I actually learned a few words. It would have helped if I had been taught the proper use of the comma. I make extensive use of the sentance fragment, because if half a sentance will do - then that is what I will use. Proper grammer is an alien subject to me.

I use whatever will put the emotion across. Rules be damned! Same way with music. As a blues bass player I use a lot of "passing tones" that are not contained within the key, but are not exactly outside. It's important to me to be both inside and outside all at the same time. I can only hope you understand this.

:arrow: imaoutsidein :king:
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:34 pm

I use whatever will put the emotion across. Rules be damned! Same way with music. As a blues bass player I use a lot of "passing tones" that are not contained within the key, but are not exactly outside. It's important to me to be both inside and outside all at the same time. I can only hope you understand this.

:arrow: imaoutsidein :king:[/quote]

I think I understand................although I don't play, I love to listen to the blues(the likes of Blind Willie McTell, found his grave site a few years back),

Blues and bourbon..........a marriage made in heaven.

As far as breaking the rules.........I use the ellipsis...............(and the () way too much).........always trying to say more than I know how to!
Mike

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:47 pm

Great! -- Glad to see so many of you panting (pantsing?) after the newcomer. I'm willing to bet that I'll get around to buying and enjoying it, too, before long. In the meantime, feel free to PM me with the locations of any of the old ORVW15 you bypass on your way to the Pappy label.
:)
TNbourbon

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:16 pm

Mike,

In order to go far you have to reach, if you should come up short you are no worse off, and in fact you are often the better man. We should all reach a little further to find the truth. Then we have to live the truth - a far more difficult proposition to be sure, but a far more fulfilling one. Sometimes our souls must fulgurate (to flash with lightening of love or hate) It's very important we do one or the other. I do both. No holds barred.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:23 pm

Ima like you Mr bunghole................you almost as full of sh _ _ as I am. Being truthful to oneself is very difficult..........eggspecially when the truth ain't what you'd like it to be.

I like an expression I read a while back, goes something like this, 'You spend your life becoming who you are'. That, in my mind, is about being truthful to yourself and being who you are, warts and all. I heard a similiar sentiment expressed by an old black man once who said, 'Be who you is'.
Mike

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings