Wheat Whiskey

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:42 am

Sure thing Dave! The Virginia chapter of Bourbon Enthusiast.com should get together from time to time as events warrant. Perhaps the Maryland chapter would like to car pool down.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Fall VA Chapter Meeting

Unread postby Stoopsie » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:58 am

How could the Maryland chapter turn down such a gracious invitation to the Virginia Chapter's Fall meeting.

The Maryland Chapter will be holding their annual meeting at the end of August, when some outta town "extra special" guests (the ellenjaye's) will be arriving.
Howie

Some people see the glass as half full, some see half empty, but I prefer to drink straight from the bottle.
Stoopsie

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:39 am

Howie,

I'll do my best to make your August event.

:arrow: ima :partyman:
bunghole

Re: Fall VA Chapter Meeting

Unread postby Brewer » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:18 pm

Stoopsie wrote:How could the Maryland chapter turn down such a gracious invitation to the Virginia Chapter's Fall meeting.

The Maryland Chapter will be holding their annual meeting at the end of August, when some outta town "extra special" guests (the ellenjaye's) will be arriving.

Hey now, don't you guys/gals forget about the NY chapter!!! Remember, we're not that far away for us to join you, or you to join us. I won't hold my breath for Linn to come to "Yankee land" though. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Bob
Brewer

Re: Fall VA Chapter Meeting

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:14 pm

brewer wrote:Hey now, don't you guys/gals forget about the NY chapter!!! Remember, we're not that far away for us to join you, or you to join us. I won't hold my breath for Linn to come to "Yankee land" though. :roll: :wink: :lol:

We think we speak for the Virginia Chapter when we say that southern hospitality is a matter of pride - all state (or national) affiiliates of BE.com are welcome.

As for Linn...heck, we're impressed that he gets as close as Maryland!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:31 pm

Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon Line. Linn has no problem with Maryland trips. He may go to New York and simply claim he was hijacked! Sort od like the Rebel Yell cases sold by the Van Winkles at Stitzel-Weller - they were labeled "contraband".

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby sevenmag » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:04 am

Initial markets: Kentucky, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Colorado
Available: September, 2005

Damnit all straigt to hell. I'm gonna be in Kentucky and Tennessee in August.

I'll definately be looking for a bottle of this one when it hit's the streets.

There's a big chain of package stores in Fl. called Cash's and with some luck they'll get it. I can get there in about an hour.
sevenmag

Unread postby MikeK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:10 pm

Any update on when this will be available? I thought it would be out by now.

Thanks, Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Blue » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Me too, I understood that PA was to be one of the release states but the helpline person couldn't find any mention of it in their system. She claimed that new products are always entered into the system at least 30 to 45 days ahead of receipt.
Blue
Epi-curious

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:14 pm

I tried this whiskey at the Vip/Press/ Hall of Fame party for the Bourbon festival yesterday. It was interesting but definitely not bourbon like. Even though the conditions were not good for a serious tasting, I found it intersting. Like Chuck, I could not put a finger on the flavor, but at the time I was thinking a sweet nut like flavor, like hazelnuts or pecans or mixture of both, seems to be the lead off flavor. I will have to get a bottle to explore it further, but I think Heaven Hill has a winner here - something better than simply a novelty.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:34 pm

Bob told me on the phone earlier that LeNell got it in so tomorrow when we are all there I'll get to try it. Some pics of tomorrows event and what we all think of various bottlings will be up then. Hope everyone in KY is having FUN! :cheers:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Ima lookin' forward to trying this tomorrow. Good 'ole LeNell coming thru for us again! :D
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:18 am

I asked a couple of different people at Heaven Hill and got several different answers, including that New York is getting it first and Kentucky is getting it last. Despite much howling from Guthrie, it was not available in Bardstown during the festival. The guy from Southern Wine and Spirits (Heaven Hill's distributor) said December-January for Kentucky. I heard it has been shipping for the last two weeks, I heard it starts shipping October 2. Anyway, depending on where you are and who you ask, it should be out between now and the end of the year, according to the best information I have which, even though it's from the highest authorities, is totally inconsistent.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mark » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:11 am

Here's a little article I just saw about it...

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 10387/1003

Sounds like a most interesting product, but I dont know, sounds to me like the $40 price tag may make it a hard to swallow repeat product unless its a blow your socks off thing. We'll all find out today!
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:15 pm

Well, we were all pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the Bernheim. As Chuck said, it is nothing like you would expect if you've been drinking the wheated bourbons. It has a pleasant grainy, whole grain bread like quality to it without gobs of caramel and vanilla that I expected. I wouldn't call it Scotch like myself as I didn't get any smokiness or iodine flavor. It was much more easily sippable than I have ever found a Scotch to be. It has a nice toasty, nutty quality without any ashy, woodiness. Big hit!

We're having a debut party for it October 2. I got it much earlier than expected. Shocked that NY got it before KY. :shock:
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings