Spring Release of Stagg

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby TNbourbon » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:19 am

White Lightning wrote:It sounds like the timeframe of the bottling run may have been so lengthy because there are two separate bottles at slightly different proofs. Is that correct?

That, too, is my understanding. Because this was an 'unscheduled' discovery and bottling of Stagg barrels, it was squeezed into the bottling house schedule in multiple runs. After they began, the yet-to-be-bottled bourbon -- now already 'married' and divined to be 130.9 proof -- was stored in some of the original barrels. When they were unbarreled a second time, they clocked in at 131.9 proof, and required a hand-label change.
So, not only are we getting an unscheduled Stagg distribution, we've got to track down two versions.
TNbourbon

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:27 am

Every collectors nightmare :lol:
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Mark » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:31 am

Sorry to get this up a day late guys but I didn't get in till very late last night...

BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY ANNOUNCES SPECIAL

SPRING RELEASE OF GEORGE T. STAGG

FRANKLIN COUNTY, KY - Just when folks thought they were going to have to wait until the fall for a George T. Stagg fix, Buffalo Trace has a special treat for bourbon enthusiasts! George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey will make a special appearance on store shelves this spring with a limited edition bottling.

Since our introduction of our George T. Stagg, we've carefully reviewed our inventory of older barrels to see if there were some potential candidates for future bottlings. Ronnie Eddins, our warehouse manager of 43 years, has been carefully watching these barrels mature in Warehouse Q. He is proud to announce that a few barrels on floors 2 and 4 are ready for release.

As with three previous editions of Stagg, the product will be bottled uncut and unfiltered. The spring installment spent 16 years and eight months aging in Warehouse Q. The proof among the barrels varied slightly. Therefore, we're proud to offer two different variations - 130.9 and 131.8 proof.

"We are very excited to have found some barrels suitable for a unique spring release of Stagg. This is a pleasant surprise," said Kris Comstock, Bourbon Brand Manager at Buffalo Trace Distillery.

The 2004 fall edition of Stagg received a "highly recommended" rating from Wine Enthusiast Magazine. Famed whiskey writer Jim Murray, named Stagg "2004 World Whiskey of the Year" in his 2004 Whiskey Bible and in its 2002 debut, Stagg took home "Whiskey of the Year" honors from Malt Advocate Magazine.

Last edited by Mark on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:05 am

Unlike General Sherman (I am a native born southerner, you knew it would come up sometime, didn't you?), George T Stagg won't be coming to Georgia.

'My' liquor store has promised me that they will make every effort to get a bottle. They say they have been in contact with out of state dealers and may be able to do it. I will drag myself (yeah, right!) over there today to remind them to stay on task.

And yes, LaNell (hope I spelled your name right), I will fondle a few bottles while there! No intent to buy today................although there is that exceptional cognac they say is coming in, but you know, I can't afford that stuff............unless, lemme see, hmmmm I could sell that........
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby tlsmothers » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:39 am

And yes, LaNell (hope I spelled your name right), I will fondle a few bottles while there

Mike, it's actually LeNell. :wink:

Hey, if I end up just rolling in loads of bottles, I'll save you a Stagg for my next visit to my sis in Hotlanta.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Mike » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:51 am

What a lady!! Thanks, ma'am!
Mike

Unread postby srice » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:43 pm

Has anybody seen any of the new Stagg available in Kentucky? If so, where did you find it and which proof did you find?
Steve Rice
Shelbyville, KY
srice

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:24 pm

I don't believe it's been released anywhere yet. Maybe by the end of the month, according to a Buffalo Trace contact.
TNbourbon

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 pm

I'm hearing that NY won't get but one proof. Not sure of allocation still. Patiently (yeah, right) waiting.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:30 am

I heard there will be one proof available in KY and a different proof available elsewhere. Anyone confirm this rumor?
In spiritus veritas
mickblueeyes

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:15 am

mickblueeyes wrote:I heard there will be one proof available in KY and a different proof available elsewhere. Anyone confirm this rumor?

This is accurate. I was told by Kris C. at BT that they had very little of the lowere proof, so that will only be available in KY. The slightly higher proof version will be available outside of KY.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:33 pm

John Vereeke of Buffalo Trace just called and the Stagg is in the liquor stores in Louisville. I have some reserved to pick up Saturday.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:34 pm

I was by 'my' liquor store today and they expect to get some..........yes even in Georgia!
Mike

Unread postby nor02lei » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:54 am

Mike wrote:I was by 'my' liquor store today and they expect to get some..........yes even in Georgia!
Do you knew what the proof is this time? And how high the price is in USA. My only chance to get any is online from very small stocks in France or UK.
nor02lei

Unread postby Mark » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:31 am

nor02lei wrote:
Mike wrote:I was by 'my' liquor store today and they expect to get some..........yes even in Georgia!
Do you knew what the proof is this time? And how high the price is in USA. My only chance to get any is online from very small stocks in France or UK.

130.9 and 131.8 proof.

Price I think is $45-46 in KY and some other states and probably $50 or more in larger cities. And some online retailers immediately make it as high as $100 which is a disgrace IMO.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings