Spring Release of Stagg

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:40 pm

Damn that looks good. It's got my mouth watering! :partyman:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby TNbourbon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:27 am

Dang! :D They're bottling Stagg yet again this morning. That's at least four bottling sessions I'm aware of -- two I've seen myself in the last three days, and two reported earlier by others.
Keep it up, guys! Maybe some of the Stagg 'virgins' can get some this time around.
TNbourbon

Unread postby rancastle » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:26 am

I'm one virgin who can't wait to lose my STAGG CHERRY !!!
Randy
rancastle

Unread postby jbohan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:07 pm

Still running Stagg n the bottling line at 1:15 PM. Looks like they are also heating up the crock pot for the gold wax to go on Elmer T. Lee bottling. Another fine product. :love10:
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby srice » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:43 pm

While drooling over the images of Stagg running down the line at BT, I went over and looked at what was being dumped. I noticed that barrels were labeled United Distillers Louisville, KY March 1993. Is this most likely a Van Winkle product?

- Steve
Steve Rice
Shelbyville, KY
srice

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:25 am

Stitzel-Weller stopped distilling in Spring 1992, and I believe that Julian still has (limited) S-W whiskey available for all but his 10yo label. So, it could be that or Weller 12yo. Or, of course, something else entirely.
TNbourbon

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:26 am

Either the Buffalo Trace distillery cam is 1) showing reruns, or 2) showing multiple passes of each Stagg bottles as they acquire label, capsule, tissue wrap, etc. or 3) is showing yet another bottling run this morning.
TNbourbon

Unread postby White Lightning » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:22 am

I was graced with the opportunity to taste some of the new spring release last night.

Typical Stagg profile of the last couple of bottlings. To me, basically a full strength Blantons/Elmer T.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Mark » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:47 am

I've had both Stagg in different bottlings and Barrel Proof Blanton's and I jsut don't like Blanton's at barel proof for soem reason... Stagg I can actually drink undiluted and enjoy it very much but barrel prood blantons I just have to add a bit of water to to bring it down to a drinkable proof. Way too hot and unrefined tasting for some reason... Anyone else feel this way after tasting both?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby White Lightning » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:04 am

Mark wrote:I've had both Stagg in different bottlings and Barrel Proof Blanton's and I jsut don't like Blanton's at barel proof for soem reason... Stagg I can actually drink undiluted and enjoy it very much but barrel prood blantons I just have to add a bit of water to to bring it down to a drinkable proof. Way too hot and unrefined tasting for some reason... Anyone else feel this way after tasting both?

One thing I've learned about whisk(e)y in general (this is not a scientific rule but it seems to be the case in many instances in my LIMITED experience) - but whiskey that is younger tends to have burn and alcohol right up front - as soon as it hits your tongue. Mid age whiskey tends to burn your mid to back palate. Well aged whiskey doesn't burn till it's in your chest. In that generic sort of thinking, Blantons is typically around half the age a Stagg would be bottled at. Perhaps that's the difference?
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby jbohan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:43 pm

AT 3 PM on Monday March 7 they are still bottling Stagg. Last Monday they dumped 22 year old United Distiller barrels (as viewed on distillry cam).
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Well, a BT exec cautioned me the other day about how labor intensive (read, slow) the Stagg bottling process is. In other words, while it looks like a good, substantial run, we shouldn't assume too high a bottle number from the fact there have been multiple bottling sessions (at least 6, that I'm aware of).
TNbourbon

Unread postby bucky1 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:09 am

The spring Stagg must be getting close to becoming available. Two local stores have contacted me saying they have Stagg coming in. One store claims to be getting 20 cases. Can't wait. :D
bucky1

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:34 am

bucky1 wrote:The spring Stagg must be getting close to becoming available. Two local stores have contacted me saying they have Stagg coming in. One store claims to be getting 20 cases. Can't wait. :D

:shock: WOW! 60 Bottles! :drink:

Your credit cards are now toast. :violent3:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby White Lightning » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:05 pm

It sounds like the timeframe of the bottling run may have been so lengthy because there are two separate bottles at slightly different proofs. Is that correct?

Which brings me to the conclusion that I now have no friggen idea which one I tasted... not that it really matters! :roll:
ψ£
White Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings