Spring Release of Stagg

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Blue » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:43 pm

According to the nice lady at the PLCB, she can have me a case in less than 2 weeks at 40/btl. We'll see. :o
Blue
Epi-curious

Unread postby Mark » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:46 pm

Heck, make it 2 cases! :lol: I'm sure someone who cannot find any would more than gladly buy one/them off ya'! That is a great price though Blue, congrats. :cheers:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby luv2hunt » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:10 pm

Stagg has arrived in Indiana! :D
luv2hunt

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:43 pm

luv2hunt wrote:Stagg has arrived in Indiana! :D

So, how many cases did ya buy? :)
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:48 pm

So, how many cases did ya buy? :)

Bob, she drove to Louisville last week and bought 15 bottles. She'll probably buy out the State of Indiana! :!:
TNbourbon

Unread postby luv2hunt » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:22 pm

You're not suppose to tell anyone that! Besides, I'm supplying two bourbon enthusiasts with bottles for their own enjoyment....and bottles to share :wink: (Actually, the trip to Kentucky helped out four men in their quest for Stagg) And of course, we have to have a few of both proof expressions!

So far, only two bottles of the higher proof.

What can I say.......I love to shop for bourbon!

Dawn
luv2hunt

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:27 pm

There is Stagg in MA. Although up here the whole state sees at most a case or 2.
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:11 pm

A fresh spring bottle in the only appropriate holder, other than a snifter of course.
Attachments
stagg_holder1.jpg
stagg_holder1.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 8642 times
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:12 pm

Another view. Off to work on a fall bottle so I can get to this one ... :D
Attachments
stagg_holder2.jpg
stagg_holder2.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby White Lightning » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:33 pm

I hope that is a photo op only - as over a period of time (and not that long I've been told) the alcohol in that bottle will attack the cork ruining the contents!!
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:31 pm

Yes, a gratuitous photo-op only. I've heard that about the cork as well. All my bottles live in a peaceful, quiet whiskey barrel. Have a look: http://www.mkellstrand.com/jd/barrel/index.html

I built this a few years ago before I discovered better Bourbon and Scotch. Now it is home to BT, WT, OVW, etc.

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Strayed » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:02 am

Mike: That barrel-bar is really nice-looking.
You certainly did a lot of top-quality work and it shows.

I have a couple of questions...

(1) Did the shrinkage ever stop? We have three barrels (actually half/barrels) as part of our bar area and we have to juryrig the staves to each other to keep them from falling apart. That might be because there's no support on the cut side, but I was wondering if you had the same problem and had come up with a better-engineered solution.

(2) I was going to ask you if, now that you know more about what you're doing, you'd ever do another one.
Then I realized that you bought two barrels but only have the one bar.
I guess that answers THAT question :P

Anyway, nice work! And thanks for letting us watch.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:35 am

John, Thanks for the nice words, I'm glad you like it.

I believe the drying/shrinking has stopped. I try to keep reasonable humidity in the winter, so that helps too.

I found that you can add hardware to a barrel and have it look good as long as the style complements it. I was fortunate to find a line of nice wrought iron hardware. I think it was intended for fences/gates, but the style is perfect and it complements the barrel very nicely. Anyway, the secret is to let the barrel dry out and stablize and then use these wrought iron screws lock it all together. For instance, along the top and bottom band I ran a screw through the band into each stave. Along the middle 4 bands I ran a screw every few staves as neccessary. Around the door the staves started just flopping around loose as they dried out, so I put in a screw at each stave along the door edge.

The staves have dried/strunk enough that there are gaps between most of them, but screwing the bands into the staves at strategic points makes the whole barrel rock solid. But you must use nice screws. The wrong screws will look nasty, but the right ones will actually enhance the look. The ones I found are a nice black wrought iron with a hammer distressed head. I should actually take some closeups of this for my web site.

For your half barrels, if you run a line of screws around the head band and then also around the last band by the cut side, it would lock it together tight as can be.

I learned quite a lot doing this first barrel. I did a lot wrong, but happily it all worked out in the end. I could definitely do another one much better and much faster now. One of these days I probably will.

Yes, I did originally have 2 barrels. I hadn't figured out something different and interesting to do with it. Sadly I had to move a couple years back to a smaller place and had to get rid of a lot of large non-essential items. So the 2nd unfinished barrel found a home with another local whiskey enthusiast. One of the other friends that got a barrel with me that day had an oversized heavy round glass top fitted to his barrel and uses it as a table.

OK, essay mode off.

Cheers!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby westsideelectric » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:07 pm

Git you some before it's all gone...

hitimewines.com

https://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a= ... p%3Fa%3D29

or you can call Binnys and order by phone: (888) 942-9463
westsideelectric

Unread postby Blue » Mon May 02, 2005 9:09 pm

Good to her word I picked up my 3 btl case today at 40/btl. The PLCB - slow but reliable. And from what I can see, relatively cheap on this offering.
Blue
Epi-curious

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings