Distiller's Masterpiece

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Distiller's Masterpiece

Unread postby parshooter » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:55 am

Anybody have/try this? It is an expensive bottle of bourbon, we got one for just under $200.00. My wife tried it in Vegas a couple years ago and just had to have a bottle. I have had one sip, not that impressed. I need to try some more to form an honest oppinion.
parshooter

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:20 am

I have tasted the older Portwood finished bottle a couple of times before. For me it was rather gentle on the front end. I could see a "wife" appreciating what I tasted, but for the price, it wouldn't stand a chance amongst the pirates I run with.

On the flipside, if you have bottomless pockets and are trying to find an approachable bourbon, this might be the ticket.

BTW -Are you referring to the Cognac Finished or Portwood Finished variation?
White Lightning

Unread postby parshooter » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:48 pm

White Lightning wrote:
BTW -Are you referring to the Cognac Finished or Portwood Finished variation?

I don't know, I will have to check when I get home.
parshooter

Unread postby parshooter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:23 am

Congnac finish 8)
parshooter

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:26 am

Heard some nice things about the Cognac finished (I believe 18 Y/O is it not), I have not had the privilege to taste it. The Portwood 20 to me was nice but there's no way I could justify dropping that type of dough when there are an abundance of "nice" whiskies out there at a fraction of the cost.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby parshooter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:21 pm

White Lightning wrote:... there's no way I could justify dropping that type of dough when there are an abundance of "nice" whiskies out there at a fraction of the cost.

I couldn't agree with you more :!:
parshooter

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:49 am

I thought it restart this older thread, based on my previous question about the Distiller’s Masterpieces. Since Mark stated that they are actually labelled as Bourbons I was wondering about the following:

1) I don’t understand why they where allowed to do so.
2) I guess the reason why non of the other Distilleries have intervened is because they don’t take those bottles seriously
3) It’s funny that people will spend a lot of time discussing whether or not the LCP disqualifies JD of being Bourbon. Do all here just think that this case is clear cut (well I do)
4) Why would JB risk opening the door to possible competitors all of a sudden eying an opportunity to call all sorts of stuff Bourbon? Now I’m not a lawyer and I don’t know much about the American legal system (except that if ever anything happens to me, I hope it’s while I’m in the States so I can sue their asses and get a couple of millions :lol: ), but I would argue that since you can mature in something else but charred new oak barrels, do you really need to adhere to the other rules?

Just some thoughts

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:06 am

Thomas - Great questions, most of which have certainly crossed my mind.

I'm not sure about the exact answers or if there is one at all at the current moment, but I'd bet you a half a case of my standard guest pours that if the DMp's dropped to say $35 a bottle and became popular amongst the realistically speaking bourbonites - I'm sure your questions would be met, and answered possibly through force in a courtroom.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:02 am

The question to ask here is "Does once one becomes a bourbon, do you always remain a bourbon?" If it was bourbon when it was placed in a cognac barrel, does it quit being a bourbon at that time. The answer can be yes or no depending upon how you want to look at the question. Any opinions here?

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:26 am

I would be very interested in Chuck's take on this especially.

IMHO, it would seem to hinge on whether you considered aging in a cognac barrel "flavoring." Personally, I think the answer is yes; therefore, I don't consider Distiller's Masterpiece bourbon as I understand it to be defined.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:48 am

I guess that if you dump the bourbon into a used cognac barrel and keep it there over a prolonged time it would be considered aging and that for me disqualifies it as bourbon.
If you only keep it there for a few days prior to bottling you might get away with it, but I don't think a few days in a cognac barrel will leave any detectable trace.
So here’s the question for those of you that have tried one or the other of the two DM’s:
Can you detect any flavouring from the cognac / port?

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:45 am

But then...if there is not detectible taste, then why do it? To me, this is not a bourbon as defined. Flavoring is being added....naturally, but being added all the same. A bourbon it is not.
BourbonBalls

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:46 am

I am by no means an expert on the laws governing here. In fact I've barely skimmed any of them. Guess I should suck it up some and familiarize myself more... But for some reason I thought once you dumped from one barrel to another, the age statement legally started over. (IF) that is correct I was always puzzled how the Cognac Finish was called 18 year old bourbon and the Portwood Finish is 20 year old bourbon?

Mike Veach stated more clearly why I say there is no definitive answer at this moment. On the other hand no one else is the industry seems to be up in arms or taking issue with it - so?
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:54 am

Actually, to me it doesnt really matter the definition at this time....but what DOES matter to me is that when I am tasting and comparing...I wouldn't count this in as a true bourbon. Just as one wouldnt include Champagne alongside wine at a tasting.
BourbonBalls

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:23 pm

I think the lack of complaint from the industry has to do with their lack of growth. If this idea caught on and sold enough to make some real money, then they did not want to do something to keep themselves from getting on the bandwagon. If it failed, then they could all say they were not involved in the failure.

The industry as a whole is looking for new ideas to keep growth alive in the premium market. They are letting each other have their experiments to see what works.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings