A H Hirsch 16 comparatively speaking

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:49 pm

Hirsch 16yo is still fairly common in Middle TN, though in most places, it's the somewhat less appealing last bottling, with the gold-foil capsule. Occasionally, I still see the second-bottling gold-wax. The price on any of it seems to be upwards of $75 anymore, though.
I even discovered a stash of 6 bottles of Hirsch 20 at an Indiana store just before Christmas at $108 a bottle (of course, they're not there anymore :D)
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mark » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:07 pm

No problem, hope you can get some, it's good whiskey. If you do happen across any of the gold wax ones though go for one of them and not the newer foil topped ones... The wax ones are a bit better than the last run for some reason. That's if the price diff isn't more than a few bucks between the two.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:22 pm

I'm curious... does anyone have an idea whether or not the last (final) bottling on the AH Hirsch 16 for Preiss was brought to proper botte strength before going in the tank, or after the tank and just prior to actual bottling? I'd assume at the time of just prior to actual bottling but these days, things that make sense... don't!

Anyway a friend of mine said the newer bottle tastes like a bunch of water was added and that he doesn't believe it is over what he estimates 88 proof LOL. He's a big fan of the older... Nevermind all of that but his mockery did make me wonder if a differing water source for the final bottle might have contributed somewhat to the noticeably different taste. I am pretty certain B/T bottled it, & I wonder if (maybe) their reverse osmosis was used here vs. what in the past etc.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:26 pm

I would guess that they add the water just before bottling. It just don't make sense to pay for storage on water you can add later. Of course it would also depend upon how much they have to store. If it was not enough to fill the tank, they might have added the water to fill it and prevent oxidation.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:18 pm

So I wonder if Julian has a bottle or two of uncut Hirsch 16/20 stashed around his house anywhere... :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Can Hirsch 16 still be bought?

Unread postby Mike » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:49 pm

rancastle wrote:Can Hirsch 16 still be bought? And so where in the world?

'My' liquor store in Conyers, GA has about 15 bottles, thanks to my telling him to get all he could. I bought 4 bottles at $59 (reg $69) the day he got it in.

As my just completed review amply demonstrates, I like it muchly. I have never had the earlier versions, but if they were better, they musta been something else.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings