Barrel-proof Maker's!?

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderators: Brewer, brendaj

Barrel-proof Maker's!?

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:28 pm

Okay, this is really a shot-in-the-dark, but I'm wondering what I may be getting sometime in the future--here's the story:

My wife's cousin lives in Kentucky, and is saving some kind of "special" bourbon bottle for me. Supposedly his employer got a case of "uncut" bourbon and gave each employee one bottle as part of their Christmas bonus. Well, knowing my fondness for bourbon (and his distaste for it), he is saving this bottle for my next Kentucky trip.

The first details I heard (though the grapevine) were that it was "uncut" and it was "bourbon". Okay, I'm thinking Booker's, or possibly even Stagg. Then my mother-in-law made some calls and found out it was "Maker's Mark".

So here's my question: what are the chances this guy got a private bottling of Maker's Mark done? Do they even do that!?

I'd call him myself, but I don't want to appear like I'm frothing at the mouth at his gift, and I really don't have much contact with them.

Any thoughts?
User avatar
OneCubeOnly
Registered User
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:39 pm

I would suggest that you not get your hopes up.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
User avatar
cowdery
Registered User
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:07 pm
Location: Chicago

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:45 pm

cowdery wrote:I would suggest that you not get your hopes up.


I guess Chuck is probably right - he is right about bourbon virtually all of the time as best as I can tell - but, since I live within easy driving distance of your bourbon stash, I'll keep my hopes up with yours! :lol:
Dave & Tina
angelshare
Registered User
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:09 pm
Location: Luray, VA

Re: Barrel-proof Maker's!?

Unread postby Oregone » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:23 pm

OneCubeOnly wrote:

I'd call him myself, but I don't want to appear like I'm frothing at the mouth at his gift, and I really don't have much contact with them.

Any thoughts?


Call him. Because, seriously, you are frothing at the mouth, aren't you? I know I would be curious as hell.

And this way, he'll know you really appreciate the gift.
User avatar
Oregone
Registered User
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:07 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:03 pm

Yeah, the suspense is getting the better of me. I showed my wife the post I made and she sent them an e-mail asking for more details. I'll keep you guys posted about what I find out.
User avatar
OneCubeOnly
Registered User
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Mark » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:24 pm

I'm doubtful as well Gary but I am hoping it is for you. That would definitely be something unique as hell to try!
-=_Mark_=-
User avatar
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: SI, NY

Unread postby Oregone » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm

Mark wrote:I'm doubtful as well Gary but I am hoping it is for you. That would definitely be something unique as hell to try!


Party at Gary's!!!
User avatar
Oregone
Registered User
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:07 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Unread postby Mark » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:32 pm

Oregone wrote:
Mark wrote:I'm doubtful as well Gary but I am hoping it is for you. That would definitely be something unique as hell to try!


Party at Gary's!!!



WooooHoooo! :cabbage: :partyman: Image :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
User avatar
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: SI, NY

Barrel-proof Maker's!?

Unread postby NeoTexan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:25 pm

As perhaps the only guy on this site (and another) that drinks MM as his daily pour, I had to know.

Just got offf the phone with Dave Pickerell (Master Distiller) and he tells me there was one bottle ever produced "uncut" that he did for a special person (did not say who) and he says they never will do an "uncut" bottling or sell a whole barrel to an individual. Just not enough production to make special brews.
NeoTexan
Registered User
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Unread postby Mark » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:32 pm

Well I guess that settles that :lol: That's a shame, I was really hoping ya' had something special there!

Unfortunately MM is not my daily pour, but let me tell ya' (and MM if you are listening!) if the 95 proof that goes to Japan and even more so if the 101 Proof stuff ever came here it would definitely find its way into my bar more often. I just find MM to be so much more flavorful and full at character at those higher proofs. Still though, I do sometimes open up a bottle of MM to mix things up a bit.
-=_Mark_=-
User avatar
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: SI, NY

Unread postby Oregone » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:36 pm

Mark wrote:Well I guess that settles that :lol: That's a shame, I was really hoping ya' had something special there!

Unfortunately MM is not my daily pour, but let me tell ya' (and MM if you are listening!) if the 95 proof that goes to Japan and even more so if the 100 Proof stuff ever came here it would definitely find its way into my bar more often. I just find MM to be so much more flavorful and full at character at those higher proofs. Still though, I do sometimes open up a bottle of MM to mix things up a bit.


I still don't understand why damn furriners get bourbon like this and we don't. It's just un-American.

And, yeah, I'd buy a lot more Maker's if I could get the higher proof (although I've never had the privilege of tasting it).

--Jeff
User avatar
Oregone
Registered User
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:07 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Unread postby Mark » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:45 pm

Oregone wrote:
Mark wrote:Well I guess that settles that :lol: That's a shame, I was really hoping ya' had something special there!

Unfortunately MM is not my daily pour, but let me tell ya' (and MM if you are listening!) if the 95 proof that goes to Japan and even more so if the 100 Proof stuff ever came here it would definitely find its way into my bar more often. I just find MM to be so much more flavorful and full at character at those higher proofs. Still though, I do sometimes open up a bottle of MM to mix things up a bit.


I still don't understand why damn furriners get bourbon like this and we don't. It's just un-American.

And, yeah, I'd buy a lot more Maker's if I could get the higher proof (although I've never had the privilege of tasting it).

--Jeff


Only the Japanese from what I understand even get the privilege of having these 2 variations of MM, and I don't even know if they still do the 101 for over there anymore... I think it was a limited thing some time ago but I could be wrong on that one. I wouldn't say I think it is un-American to have stuff go there and not here, or to Europe and not here as there are products we have that are very good that they do not get (Russell's Reserve and Kentucky Spirit are only 2 quick examples) but I do find it wrong to send things anyplace else but here when 1. It is made right here and is hyped to certain markets as an American Product and 2. You have people here in the US who are true enthusiasts who would enjoy it VERY much is made available. At the least I don't see why they could not do a limited yearly release here of the Black and Gold wax expressions. And don't use the "Oh we have limited quantities" excuse. Send some less over there or make less red wax here and put out some of the higher proof stuff to enthusiasts willing to pay for that one a year bottle or two. Same goes for other distilleries besides just Makers Mark as well. WT should release, even if in limited quantities and I mean even if in VERY limited, bottles such as Freedom and Kentucky Legend single barrel barrel proof. Ok, let me get off this soapbox now :cussing:
-=_Mark_=-
User avatar
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: SI, NY

Unread postby Chris » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:09 pm

I think it's funny when they market things as a 'classic american spirit' and it's not even sold in the United States of America... Then MM talks on their tours about how they are "too honest to sell more than one expression of their bourbon"... When i asked them about the japanese bottlings the tour guide shrugged it off and said "they get whatever they want"... :roll:
User avatar
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:22 pm

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:13 pm

Darn! I really had my heart set on something unique! Obviously somebody has their details mixed up. I'm hoping the "uncut" part is still correct!

I thought the whole idea behind the MM marketing was they didn't want to have a second bottling in the U.S. because it might detract from their standard one!? Ie. if there's a "super-premium" Maker's, then what does that make the red-wax one...that's right: MIDSHELF.
User avatar
OneCubeOnly
Registered User
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: Virginia

Unread postby Oregone » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:15 pm

OneCubeOnly wrote:Darn! I really had my heart set on something unique! Obviously somebody has their details mixed up. I'm hoping the "uncut" part is still correct!

I thought the whole idea behind the MM marketing was they didn't want to have a second bottling in the U.S. because it might detract from their standard one!? Ie. if there's a "super-premium" Maker's, then what does that make the red-wax one...that's right: MIDSHELF.


Well, they already market that bogus bottling that's the same whisky in a different package -- gold label? You can personalize the bottle, which is apparently a big deal.
User avatar
Oregone
Registered User
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:07 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Next

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests