Barrel-proof Maker's!?

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby Mark » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Very good point Tim, that just may be the case... I forgot all about that thing where they put our names on various plaques and attatched them to the barrels.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:19 pm

I'm still waiting for some kind of update on what this guy has, but that Ambassador-bottling theory makes a lot of sense! In fact, that's really the only "special bottle" I can think of (besides the foreign release) from MM.
OneCubeOnly

MM

Unread postby NeoTexan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Those barrels are not ready yet. I think you are one of the first years.
NeoTexan

MM

Unread postby NeoTexan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:53 pm

OCO I can think of about 50 to 60 special dippings in the past 4 years alone. Could be any one of those. Lots of options. Only time will tell. :clock:
NeoTexan

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:23 pm

In fact, there is currently an advertised 'employee only' MM Christmas bottle on Ebay right now, with a claim that only 75 were made -- with red wax over green instead of the retail green over red.
TNbourbon

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:38 pm

Resurrecting a dead thread here--I got an update on some of the details (although much of it is vague...you've got to remember that I'm getting the story from non-enthusiasts here!)

Anyway, I just got back from a reunion in Florida. The cousin that has this special bottle gave me some more info. The big question I had was, of course, what exactly is it!? Well, if her information is accurate, it TRULY IS A BOTTLE OF UNCUT BARREL-PROOF MAKER'S MARK!!!!

20 bottles exist. They were never sold--they are private bottles from a single barrel that were given as gifts at a function by one of the 'head honchos' at MM. This particular bottle was originally given to the attorney of whoever this 'head honcho' is. (I'm speculating it's Bill Samuels, Jr. from the way she spoke of him). This attorney then gave it to my cousin's husband.

She was unable to transport the bottle because it has no seal--it isn't waxed and only has a cork (instead of a screw-cap), so she was afraid to stow it in her checked luggage. Carry-on rules only allow for *SEALED* bottles of spirits, so she was afraid to bring it. However, if I attend the Bourbon Festival my wife and in-laws will be going to Bowling Green and will get the bottle.

I can't wait to try this stuff!
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:09 am

OneCubeOnly wrote: Well, if her information is accurate, it TRULY IS A BOTTLE OF UNCUT BARREL-PROOF MAKER'S MARK!!!! 20 bottles exist. They were never sold--they are private bottles from a single barrel that were given as gifts at a function by one of the 'head honchos' at MM.

Wow, Gary, that's pretty cool!! Keep us posted!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby dr_detail » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:44 am

The Gold was 101 proof and bottled in '78. The Red one was 90 proof and bottled in '77....

I'm new to this forum, but having seen this thread while searching for a replacement of my gold label bottle (I'm down to about two sippin' glasses full), I can't help to recall my first encounter of Makers. It was from a bottle we snatched from my Dad stash back in the 80's. Seems sometime back in the 70's he drove across the country and stopped by the distillery. For years he had a dusty case stashed in the garage of green dipped bottles with gold ebossed stamped labels. They were aged longer, and came in at 101 proof. These were IMO smooth and clean and easy sippin. Later, this magical elixer came to be my special ocasion sipper -- if I only knew how rare these were I might not a drank em so quick - lol - NOT! These were IMO far superior than the standard red label (dipped wax) bottles sold around town. When I went through all the green labels (complete with tax stamps), I hunted for more (my brother still has 3/4 of a bottle of green which he wont share --- darn b*tthead!). In the 90's there were on shelves of select stores both gold and red. The golds seem to disapear and any time I spotted one, I snached it up... well I'm down to my last few sippin's and wish there was more to be found... It's my hope that someone at the distillery gets the hint from my Ambassador stamping on barrel #479930 "GOLD LABEL OR BUST !!" (pic below). I'm not a marketing genius, but I do know that there was never a loss when they made available the limited production runs, only those in the know, really knew. And yes we Americans would buy them and drink them without any loss of profits from the corperate folks who now run Makers.

Oh, by the way, how was, did you ever get the 1 of 20 bottles that this thread started with, and how was it??

dr_detail

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Gary was kind enough to share this bottle with us. Check out this thread:

VA meeting 05
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:01 pm

Thaks, Dave, all your parties look great.

Can someone give a list of all the past and present iterations of Maker's Mark with comments?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:00 pm

They were aged longer, and came in at 101 proof. These were IMO smooth and clean and easy sippin. Later, this magical elixer came to be my special ocasion sipper -- if I only knew how rare these were I might not a drank em so quick [/img]

Amen :!: :!:
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings