James E Pepper

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

James E Pepper

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:33 pm

Mike (Scratchline) sent me a sample of James E Pepper from the late 40's or early 50's. I don't have a lot of bottle information other than he said it was distilled at DSP5 in Lexington. He told me more but it was while I was at the Bourbon's Bistro and I did not write it down, so I hope he will fill in some of the blanks here. In the meantime, I will do a review here of this whiskey.

Tasted in a Glencairn glass.

Color: Light orange but with good legs.

Nose: Sweet corn and spice - nutmeg and vanilla. Not much wood but a little fine tobacco.

Taste: Lots of corn sweetness with vanilla and pear fruit. A little fine leather as it heads toward the finish. There is no burn to this bourbon and it has a nice thick mouth feel. Nothing overly complex, but definite verything there is good.

Finish: This whiskey has a very good finish with the sweetness being balanced by some oak tannins naking the experience long and pleasant. Lots of vanilla and nutmeg on the finish with just a hint of that very ripe pear fruit.

I think the reason I like the older bourbons from this era is that the finish is so good. They finish in a way that makes me want to sit there and enjoy and maybe compliment it with a puff or two on the pipe.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: James E Pepper

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 am

Mike,

What proof?

Thanks for the notes....as you may or may not know (just ask Charles Miller), I've done quite a bit of dusty hunting in DC and James E Pepper is on my must find list. Spun was in town a couple months ago and found me a bottle of Old Charter BIB from the late 70's..that was on my must find list. Let me know more vital statistics when you get them so I can compare if I ever find my bottle.

Many of my favorite bourbons are from decades past. They seem to have a richness about them that some current offerings lack....dunno if that's just me or the fact that the entry proof was lower then.
ggilbertva

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:05 am

Greg,
I don't have the specifics. Mike (Scratchline) told me some of the specifics when he was at the Bourbon's Bistro the Wednesday before the Bourbon Festival, but I did not write them down. I would say it is probably 4 years old and 86 proof, but I could be wrong. I am hoping he will fill in the details since he has the original bottle.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby scratchline » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Hey, Greg. The Pepper actually came from a pint that I got just south of DC. The tax strip was too worn to read but the bottom of the bottle was stamped 59. So it was probably from the late 50's/early 60's. It was a bond that I thought had a really incredible fruity (cherry) nose. Probably on the young side but most everyone who sampled it thought it was a very good whiskey. It went too fast. A few more specs: distilled DSP-5, bottled I.R.B.W. 1. Little or no evaporation on the bottle. Not surprised that Mike thought it was 86 proof because the alcohol was very soft on the palate.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby ggilbertva » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:53 pm

scratchline wrote:Hey, Greg. The Pepper actually came from a pint that I got just south of DC. The tax strip was too worn to read but the bottom of the bottle was stamped 59. So it was probably from the late 50's/early 60's. It was a bond that I thought had a really incredible fruity (cherry) nose. Probably on the young side but most everyone who sampled it thought it was a very good whiskey. It went too fast. A few more specs: distilled DSP-5, bottled I.R.B.W. 1. Little or no evaporation on the bottle. Not surprised that Mike thought it was 86 proof because the alcohol was very soft on the palate.

-Mike

Mike, thanks for filling in the vital statistics. I still hold out hope of finding some Pepper in DC during one of my shopping trips.

I hope things are going well for you.

Stay healthy
ggilbertva

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings