08 OF Birthday Bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

08 OF Birthday Bourbon

Unread postby Jon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:49 pm

Does anyone have any info on the release date of this favorite of mine????
Write what YOU smell and taste in an accurate descriptive form and in complete disregard for others posts. Not everyone will share your particular taste, but you very well may succeed in helping them find theirs!
Jon
KY Mastertaster

Re: 08 OF Birthday Bourbon

Unread postby Jon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Never mind! I just found the release date to be Sept 2nd.
Write what YOU smell and taste in an accurate descriptive form and in complete disregard for others posts. Not everyone will share your particular taste, but you very well may succeed in helping them find theirs!
Jon
KY Mastertaster

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:20 pm

George garvin Brown was born on September 2nd so the release date is usually that day. I am looking forward to this year's version.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Jon » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Ditto!!
Jon
KY Mastertaster

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:34 am

This year, because of the release of Old Forester Repeal Bourbon, celebrating the 75th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition (Yipee!), they had a repeal-oriented event on GGB's birthday. Birthday bourbon will come out in mid-October this year only. I don't exactly get it, because even though they're promoting Repeal Bourbon now, it won't be in stores until the end of Novermber, beginning of December. I guess they're trying to stimulate buy-in. Birthday Bourbon will actually be in stores sooner, in mid-October.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Obviously, that mid-October date was missed.

I have since learned that when they told us that in September, they were stalling. The bottle supplier went out of business. The new bottle was having trouble on the bottling line. They only just got it all worked out. It's being bottled now. Call it Old Forester Belated-Birthday Bourbon. The 2008 edition will be in stores likely mid-January 2009. The 2009 will be expected, on schedule, on September 2, 2009.

More here.

I know this audience will want to know how this delay of several months has affected the whiskey itself. Not to worry. The particular batch of Old Forester selected for the 2008 release was actually chosen about a year ago (I helped). When they couldn't bottle it at the scheduled time, they dumped all the barrels anyway and tanked the whiskey in stainless steel, so it will be exactly the whiskey it was supposed to be.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings