Well, why not? Colorado comes to Kentucky.....

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Well, why not? Colorado comes to Kentucky.....

Unread postby Mike » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:19 pm

I have a bottle of Pappy 23 that is about half full. I also have a bottle of Colorado Malt Whiskey that is bit more than half full. Neither is a favorite of mine but both have their place.

A while back, Gary Gillman, who is prone to such musings, suggested that a touch of malt in some bourbon whiskies might add some flavor.

In the spirit of experimentation, I added about 3 ml to 50 ml of Pappy 23 to see if it would tame the tannins, supplement the sweetness, and dilute the dryness for which Pappy is so justly famous.

The Colorado did temper the tannins while adding to the sweetness. The dryness was only barely touched, but overall, I think the Pappy gained from this lopsided friendship.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Mike, that is interesting, but you might try it with a younger bourbon or straight rye.

To reduce the tannins but preserve a lot of the taste of the 23 year old whiskey, perhaps blending 50/50 with Weller 12 might work, something like that.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings