William Larue Weller - BT Antique Collecton

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

William Larue Weller - BT Antique Collecton

Unread postby Lovejones » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 am

They're bottling it today, September 21, 2007.

I just saw it on their webcam. I know they have 4 others to bottle, but does anyone know the release date yet? :)
Lovejones

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:48 am

Last year it was released October 31st. I figure it will be around the same timeframe. Unfortunately, I'll be in KY next month but will miss it by a couple of weeks and will have to wait for the collection to wind its way to VA.
ggilbertva

Unread postby cubacroc » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:02 am

George T. Stagg was bottled on August 21st. The Weller Bottling Hall was downwind of the Blanton Bottling Hall on that afternoon. Stagg 2007 will not dissapoint if the taste matches the downwind experience. The afternoon temp was 103 that day and the entire area was filled with Stagg.

I had the good fortune to visit the Trace again today. Blantons was on the bottling line this morning. Weller 2007 was on the Blanton Hall line when we returned after lunch. The temp was in the mid 90s and the area was filled with the aroma of Weller 2007.

Eagle Rare bottles and packaging were present so perhaps the 2007 Eagle Rare will be bottled early next week.
cubacroc

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:50 am

Charles,
You are one lucky son-of -a-gun to be able to see....and smell....all that.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby cubacroc » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:22 pm

Luck ?

August 21 - Barrel #1 is 9 years and 1 month old. I attended the bottling for barrel #1 of the Weller Antique 107 that you sampled at the Mike Night dinner. BT was bottling Stagg

September 21 - Barrel #2 is 9 years and 2 month old. I attended the bottling for barrel #2 of the Weller Antique 107. BT was bottling Wm LaRue Weller.

Barrel #1 and #2 were both distilled on the same day July 21, 1998.

I bought two barrels and saw two of the 2007 Antique Collection being bottled. I should have bought more barrels! Guess if I did I could not afford any of the 2007 Antiques.

The next set of barrels were all distilled on September 15, 1998. Bottlings are scheduled to begin on the 15th of November.

I may have a flight of Wellers available by the Spring Sampler.
cubacroc

Unread postby Lovejones » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:14 pm

I want a barrel, but my bar is too small. :shock:
Lovejones

Unread postby cubacroc » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:29 pm

Terrible news !

BT Antique Collection all sold out!

I stopped by one of the larger stores in Louisville on Thursday evening and placed an order for the 2007 Antique Collection.

I recieved a phone call on Friday while I was attending the bottling of a barrel.

The owner of the store calls and tells me that I have missed the BT 2007 Antique Collection by several months and it is sold out! He explains that the Antique Collection comes out in the Summer and he sold his allotment last month.

mmmmmm really?

I was standing midway between the BT Gift Shop and Weller Hall. Slowly I turn and watch as the BT forklift driver passes by with another pallet of Wm LaRue Weller that he is moving from behind Blanton Hall to the warehouse.

The QC lab manager has just allowed us to watch as he tested our un-chill filtered bottle of Weller on the suspended material light meter located in Blanton Hall.

I sure am glad that I do not have a camera in my cell phone!

I thanked him for checking and taking the time to call. I disconnected and took another deep breath of the aroma of BT 2007 Weller that filled the entire distillery that afternoon

GRIN ! Priceless.
cubacroc

Weller?

Unread postby mozilla » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:11 am

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but, didn't BT buy Weller in mid 1999? How is it that they were still producing wheat whisky with no label? Since, they at one time produced it for Schenley/UD. Seems like they were under contract or planning ahead?
mozilla

Unread postby cubacroc » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Mike Veach might provide a more accurate timeline on the transfer of the brand from United Distillers to Buffalo Trace than I can. BT also claims to have made wheated bourbon for other distillers over the years. I do not know when the brand and inventory were sold to BT.

Mike covered some of the history of Bernheim, United Distillers and Master Distiller Ed Foote in another thread. Some information is included regarding the UD decision to raise the entry proof from 110 to 114.

Mike was part of the selection group that picked Barrel #1 and #2.
The barrels that we selected were distilled by United Distillers at DSP-KY-1 Bernheim on July 21, 1998.

The second set of barrels that we sampled were Bernheim production from September 15, 1998. Bottling for the next series will begin in November.

Entry proof was 114 for all barrels sampled and all seem to be almost exactly 123 proof on exit.
cubacroc

Unread postby mozilla » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:31 pm

Being that the barrels are Bernheim, answeres my question completely. Do you have any information on the number of bottles each barrel harvested, and at what proof(107 or barrel)? Thanks
mozilla

Unread postby cubacroc » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:32 pm

Both barrels were distilled at DSP-KY-1 Bernheim by United Distillers on July 21, 1998.
Both barrels were made on July 08, 1998.
The entry proof was 114.
The exit proof was 123.3 for barrel 1 and 123.1 for barrel 2.
The yield for barrel 1 was 30 gallons at 123 proof.
The yield for barrel 2 was 29 gallons at 123 proof.
Both produced 13 full cases @ 750 ml and a few extras
The bourbon recieved the minimum filtering possible for a bourbon that was NOT bottled at barrel proof. The bourbon was NOT chill filtered. Char is not present but the bourbon passes very little light thru the suspended material meter. (suspended flavor meter )
The bourbon was bottled as Old Weller Antique Original 107 Brand.
Foil labels were applied that indicate that the bourbon is
Single Barrel - Un Filtered with the DSP-KY - 1, distilled and bottle dates.
Barrels 1 and 2 were selected in May 2007.
Mike Veach selected Barrel 1 as his choice
Harlan Wheatly and the staff of Bourbon's Bistro choose Barrel 2
Barrel 1 was bottled on August 21 2007 at 9 yr 1 mo
Barrel 2 was bottled on September 21 2007 at 9 yr 2 mo

We are in the process of sampling additional barrels that will be bottled starting in November.
cubacroc

Unread postby mozilla » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:52 am

WOW! That is some kick ass info. Thanks for posting it.
mozilla

Unread postby Kendall » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 pm

I was at the trace saturday sept.22, they were bottling Blantons at 12:00
I got a couple of the "defective" toppers.
I enjoyed the tour but it wasn't as detailed as i had hoped.
I picked up a copy of Allways Fine Bourbon and have finishd it already, i highly recommend it.
Toast of Wellers 12 Year to all. Cheers.
Kendall

Unread postby cubacroc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:49 pm

The first bottles from Barrel 1 arrived in time for "All Mike Night".

BourbonJoe had the opportunity to sample BourbonV's pick of the litter.

Do the "Mikes" from the northern states have any tasting notes to contribute?
cubacroc

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:13 am

I don't know about Doug, but I had tasted way too many bourbons before this one to remember anything about it. I tend to drink samples at a rapid rate when I'm having fun and it sure was fun that night. Sorry I cannot comment on Mike's pick of the litter.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings