Old Charter 7 yr BIB

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Charter 7 yr BIB

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 am

My Dad found a bottle of this while travelling in Mississippi and gave it to me for my birthday. Looking at the glass markings, I THINK it was bottled in 1995 (it could be "85", but I don't think so.) I assume this expression is no longer available. Can someone fill us in on the history of this OC expression? For those who have had it, your thoughts?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:54 am

I always liked the bonded Old Charter. It has a nice rich corn sweetness with the caramel and vanilla from aging that reminds me of candy corn. Unfortunately the marketers say that "Bonded" and "Bottled-inBond" are too old fashioned sounding and the distillers have jumped on this to eleminate the category from their portfolio. Too many restrictions to bonded whiskey making it hard for them to hide information from the consumer. They want to get rid of the category so they can do things like mix ages and purchase whiskey from the open market to mix in their brands.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:16 pm

Mike, do you know when the expression was discontinued? We checked your OC Timeline - apologies if we overlooked the answer.

Interesting to us that the bonded version was 7 years old - the youngest of the OC expressions, unless you count IW Harper 4 yo as a technical OC, I guess. That said, most of the BIB whiskies we've seen tend to be in the 4-6 year range.

Haven't cracked this one open, but I'm sure we'll agree with you on the flavor profile. We've always thought there was a candy corn quality to OC 8 & 10 - the perfect Halloween bourbons!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:59 am

They were still bottling bonded Charter at U.D. so I assume it was Buffalo Trace that that discontinued the expression. It is a shame because the 100 proof expression was quite nice in my opinion.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings