Vattin...........down the hatch

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Vattin...........down the hatch

Unread postby Mike » Thu May 31, 2007 3:48 pm

I pulled out a vatting I did a few months ago.........before Russell's Reserve 101 was pulled off the market.........of 50% RR and 50% Eagle Rare 101 (also now defunct). Bet you can guess what the final proof on this one is...........well, it ain't 90 like the new RR or the new ERSB........just ask me am I happy with either of those replacement bourbons.

I find ER 101 to be a trifle sweeter than RR 101. (Cowdery, somewhere in these posts, noted that ER 101 was made to be a knock off of RR 101, and they are somewhat similiar, but ER is easily distinguishable for the WT product). I find the vatting made a slightly different bourbon from either and just as good and, sometimes, better.

I have been able to lay back several bottles of the ER 101 but am down to my last few sips of RR 101. In their hayday, they were both excellent whiskies (still are, if you can find them) and mixed together, well, a third fine bourbon was concocted.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings