Playing with spirits

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Playing with spirits

Unread postby Mike » Mon May 28, 2007 7:08 pm

I decided to cook steaks for my wife today. She has only three more days before retirement but has a nasty cold.........which she contracted from me. Will this WonderWoman work her last three days, even with a cold......you betcha............is she the most bestest person ever I have met..........you betcha!

Whilst cooking, I decided to try a rum, orange peel concoction that I enjoy occasionally. With a cube of ice its 80 proof taste was sweet and nice, a tad sweeter than Grand Marnier.

A sip was enough and I decided to try some Wathen's Single Barrel, so recently discovered and enjoyed. The aroma of the Wather's was decidedly 'woody' after the rum drink. So, next, I thought I will try a wee touch of Pappy 23, since that is often considered too 'woody' for many tastes. . The Pappy 23 was, to my palate, less 'woody' than the Wathen's. Well, blow me down.

Still, both bourbons were first rate, and my review of Pappy 23 as wine-like was reinforced. As to the Wathen's, I could see how a Scotch lover would find bourbon as a bit in the oak and sweet...........but it was just wonderful to this old palate. Wathen's is buttery and rich in an exceptional way...........a fantastic bourbon to this old boy.

And the Pappy 23, detractors not withstanding, it is also a bourbon for the ages, a complex and interesting spirit with an edge on sublety over the Wathen's. Pappy 23 is a great spirit, very dry to be sure, in part because it pushes the bourbon envelope in a slightly different direction.

But, to cap it all off, I threw in some Baker's and have to admit, on this occasion, it tops everything. It is thick, rich, buttrery, has an alcohol bite that fortifies its taste and just plain dominates the others...........good as they both are.

Baker's, Wathen's, Pappy 23.............three superfine bourbons!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings