Old Forester Birthday Bourbons -- Aging

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:58 pm

I meant Mike, not Mark. Y'all stop confusing me!!! :)
In spiritus veritas
mickblueeyes

Unread postby Mike » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:56 pm

mickblueeyes wrote:IJD" There are going to be non-connoisseurs and pseudo-connoisseurs everywhere. We are the minority. As such, I would dissuade us from categorically dismissing those that enjoy other spirits.

I will admit that I have been guilty of snobbery and pseudo-connoisseury of one sort or another for a significant part of my life.............intellectual, religious, scotch, cognac, bourbon........you name it.

However, a friend once told me that for most of us snobbery of one sort or another is a common and maybe necessary step toward maturity. I genuinely hope he is right. I fight that tendency in myself when I see it (or my wife sees it) and believe it to be a bad thing.

I also hope the English poet/mystic/philospher William Blake was right when he said (paraphrasing) 'the road of excess leads to wisdom'..............cause I have spent some time on that road too!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:10 pm

mickblueeyes wrote:...So, now who wants to help me find some Spring 90? :) LOL!

I think your earlier post indicates you have the Spring '90 -- it's the Fall '90 you're missing. Just drive west to Nashville, turn left and go 45 or so miles, knock on my door -- I have a couple of untapped bottles, one of which I plan to uncork soon for comparison purposes anyway.
Also, I still found the 2002 (distilled 1989) on the shelf in KY when I went to the Festival last fall (2004) -- and another right here in TN just last week :D -- so it might follow that last year's versions remain today somewhere on the shelf there. Don't give up hope.
TNbourbon

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:15 pm

Thanks for the offer TN! I travel through that way a couple times a year, so I may take you up on that sometime! Vice versa applies, of course!

I will not give up the search!
In spiritus veritas
mickblueeyes

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:27 pm

Mick,
I will take aim at your remarks here. I agree the knowledgable Scotch drinker does not equiviate age to quality, but the knowledgable Scotch drinkers I have experienced are not snobby about it and enjoy an occasional bourbon the same way I enjoy and occasional single malt. The Scotch Snobs I have met are usually suckered in by what the advertisements say and what they think is cool. They don't really know crap but just want others to think they do. I am sure you know some of the type I am talking about.

This reminds me of the story the bar tender at D Marie's was telling me just before it closed. Orlando Bloom and company came in there just about every night while they filming Etown because they wanted to drink the Stagg. She told me it was really funny because they did not drink it to enjoy it, but really treated it as a shooter drink. The only reason they wanted it was because it was 142 proof! They thought that must make it good and they were cool drinking "the good stuff". They were drinking the good stuff but might as well had been mixing it with coke for all they knew.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:42 pm

I think we are in agreement here!
In spiritus veritas
mickblueeyes

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:00 pm

Exactly, thus I stand by my remark.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby mickblueeyes » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:56 pm

Woohoo! I found a bottle! :)
In spiritus veritas
mickblueeyes

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:34 am

So few people really understand spirits. Many people know what they like and appreciate quality, but compared, say, to buying automobiles, food to cook or at a restaurant, buying hardware and software, etc., there is a general lack of knowledge amongst people who buy spirits (or beer and to a lesser degree, wine). Thus it always was, but as a result a Cadillac whiskey such as WT rye sells for a Chevvy price. Of course that's a good thing for us here, and I hope (this has been said by many other than me) the bourbon renaissance and focus on high-end products does not spell the end (ultimately) of such inexpensive luxuries.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:49 pm

Ok since this thread is started I'll throw my stupid question out there... I haven't really been very familiar with ANY of the Birthday Bourbons. I did however pick up a bottle (for the first time) in the last couple of months. The bottle says 1990 I'm pretty sure. Am I missing something - the reviews I saw on the sight start with like 2002... Are those the bottling date and mine reflects the distilled date or what?

I guess I'm wondering if I should backtrack through the distributor and get a couple of more bottles if the vintage on hand is that far behind??

Ok anybody who wishes has my pemission to throw eggs at my inquiry!

:arrow:
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby dgonano » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:56 pm

The 1990 refers to the year the spirit was distilled. There were two releases of the 1990 , one distilled in the spring and the other in the fall. The label clearly indicates the bottling you've obtained. Both of these were bottled in the fall of 2003.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby White Lightning » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:31 am

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I guess the 2003 review / photo was the one I did not look at. The 1990 is clearly there just like my bottle - however from what I can see the other bottles (2002/04) don't look like they have the distilled year -at least not in the same place. That sort of threw me off.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:12 am

Thanks to Mike B. I've just celebrated someone's birthday! Review posted.

:arrow: imagoingtobednow :occasion4:
Attachments
bungholeatwork.jpg
bungholeatwork.jpg (165.7 KiB) Viewed 8467 times
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:58 pm

Linn,
Great review! I find this to be an excellent bourbon. I hope that Brown-Forman keeps giving us something new an exciting every year with the Birthday bourbon. This project shows how the same product off the still (sort of because their is going to be variation even the white dog year to year) can produce so many great, different flavored products through aging.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings