A Near Out-Of-Body Experience

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

A Near Out-Of-Body Experience

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:48 pm

Today I decided to decant an Old Fitzgerald BiB (D-1967 B-1975) from an old "Irish Songs" decanter. Of course I had to take a pour to be sure the stuff was o.k. It was not only O.K. but absolutely stunning. It was almost a religious experience. Nothing beats Old Fitz BiB IMHO. Nothing.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mark » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:27 pm

I haven't had the chance to try an original Old Fitz BIB Joe but I have had an VVOF 12yo and I can agree that nothing beats the old and original Stitzel Weller inventory... Cheers! :cheers:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: A Near Out-Of-Body Experience

Unread postby Mike » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:36 pm

JoeBourbon wrote:Today I decided to decant an Old Fitzgerald BiB (D-1967 B-1975) from an old "Irish Songs" decanter. Of course I had to take a pour to be sure the stuff was o.k. It was not only O.K. but absolutely stunning. It was almost a religious experience. Nothing beats Old Fitz BiB IMHO. Nothing.
Joe

Joe, I just love it when you break loose like this.

I have a 1 liter bottle of OF BIB that I bought in Kentucky last year. I bought it at a liquor store that was closing in a coal mining town that is 'moist'. The label is fading so it has some age, probably 8 or 10 years on the shelf I am guessing. Do you or anyone else know if I can determine the approximate year this bourbon was bottled and if so , is it SW bourbon? It really is fine bourbon, but I have my doubts that it is SW.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:10 am

Even something as modest as the Old Fitz BIB or Old Fitz Prime was 100% Stitzel-Weller until about 1997, so up to approximately ten years ago. The older age-dated expressions were Stitzel-Weller a few years longer. The BIB probably stayed all-SW a little longer than the Prime did because a BIB has to be the product of a single distillery and season. With Prime, they could combine SW whiskey with Bernheim whiskey, both wheated, of course. The same is true about any Weller and Rebel Yell products. How much of the whiskey bottled after 1997 was SW is a function of how much they still had and when they actually made the first batch of wheated bourbon at Bernheim.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:14 pm

Miike,
Somewhere on that label there will be a DSP number. If the number is DSP16 then that is Stitzel-Weller. Bernheim will be DSP1. Since it is Bottled in Bond, then the number is required by law to be on the label.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:56 pm

bourbonv wrote:Miike,
Somewhere on that label there will be a DSP number. If the number is DSP16 then that is Stitzel-Weller. Bernheim will be DSP1. Since it is Bottled in Bond, then the number is required by law to be on the label.

Thanks ever so too much, Mike. It is indeed DSP 16! I have about half the bottle left and two and a half bottles of the 8 YO 1849. There are two more 8 YO 1849ers on the shelf at the liquor store so I think I will just pop over there and get both for $13.99 each. I like this Old Fitz stuff
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:57 pm

Mike,
Always a pleasure to help you find real Stitzel-Weller bourbon. Drink it in good health.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings