A couple of under $30 goodies and some other stuff

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

A couple of under $30 goodies and some other stuff

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Two of my recent reviews were Pure Kentucky XO small batch.........a ten year old version, not a six year old like I had earlier and panned.........and Ezra B 12 year old single barrel. I have enjoyed both of these bourbons very much and will buy another of each. Both are the equal of, or superior to, many more expensive bourbons.

At the moment, I prefer the Ezra B slightly over the PKXO. It strikes a very nice combination of rich creamy sweetness with fruity overtones and spicy bite. I suspect it is a high rye recipe. If you have not given Ezra B a try, I would recommend it to you as a great moderately priced bourbon. Likewise the PKXO if it is in the 10 YO range.

On another matter, my wife and I were roaming yesterday and went in an antique and collectable shop in Greensboro, Ga. It had the usual collection of stuff, mostly what could be politely called 'collectable'. What caught my eye and immediate interest was a nice assemblage of old bottles of various sorts. Many were old whiskey bottles from the late 1800's and early 1900's. All of these bottles were hand blown and had bubbles and flaws aplenty, in spite of which, one 'guaranteed' that there was a full quart of whiskey contained in its volume.

Most of these bottles were marked in the $15 to $20 range. I was sorely tempted to buy a couple just because I like whiskey and the bottles were interesing to look at and speculate about, but my wife was along and she is a very practical person and already accuses me of having too much glassware for my whiskey. Incidentally, she knows, just by intuition I guess, that I have several thousand dollars worth of whiskey scattered about. She did, however, condesend to help me find an errant bottle last night..........the Ezra B, in fact.

My wife is a rare human being about whom it is impossible to say enough good things. She is my superior in every way save one.......... I love whiskey and she detests it.

T'would be the rare bottle of whiskey, empty or full, that would compare to her in worth.........alas, she knows all this only too well!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings