Evan Williams Single Barrel

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Just tried the 97 today - a very good year for EWSB. We may try a blinded 97 vs. 94 soon. Bet it would hold its own based on memory.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:45 pm

I'll cast my vote for the 1997 being an excellent bourbon & also a great bargin. I've also recently posted a review on '97 vintage you might enjoy reading.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm still waiting to see the 1997 Evan Williams SIngle Barrel Bourbon pop up in my local stores. All the local shops still have the 1996 on the shelves... Soon I hope... Soon. I've already got the 1996!
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:38 pm

Everybody should try to get some 96 or earlier, some 97, and some 98, because the comparison is going to be very interesting, i.e., all made at different distilleries though, ostensibly, to the same formula.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: Evan Williams Single Barrel

Unread postby whitemike » Sun May 17, 2009 5:11 pm

im bringing up an old tread but im happy cuz found a 93' in a store ive never seen before on my way home from my fishing spot
whitemike

Unread postby ggilbertva » Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 pm

whitemike wrote:im bringing up an old tread but im happy cuz found a 93' in a store ive never seen before on my way home from my fishing spot

Nice find. Hopefully you didn't pay more than $22 or so for it. For a 10 year old SB, it's a pretty good bourbon. Of course, some years/barrels better than others.
ggilbertva

Unread postby whitemike » Mon May 18, 2009 8:05 pm

ya i payed just a little bit over that it came out to $28 after taxes and the cheapest ive seen them down here is $24 but ive noticed that some of our prices are way higher than most of the prices listed on the forum. south florida has a huge selection on rum, teqela and vodka but choices are slim on bourbon.
whitemike

Unread postby independant » Mon May 18, 2009 8:25 pm

Nice find on the 93. I too am looking for all the years. So far I have found 93 through 99 and hope to find all the earlyer years at some point to do a tasting of them all. I have only tryed the 97 through 99 and the 97 wins hands down.
independant

Unread postby whitemike » Thu May 28, 2009 11:00 pm

i just added the 97' to my collection, now i have the 93' 96-99' so just acouple more lucky finds i can have me a nice little tasting.
whitemike

Unread postby enzo » Fri May 29, 2009 1:39 am

The 98 sucks
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Fri May 29, 2009 5:09 pm

enzo wrote:The 98 sucks

Can you elaborate a little bit? The 1998 bottle I had was excellent and very consistant with the quality Heaven Hill puts into this product every year. All be it a little soft in my opinion, but great depth in flavors. I prefer a little higher proof. Maybe you got an off bottle?
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 pm

drinkdrankdrunk wrote:

Can you elaborate a little bit? The 1998 bottle I had was excellent and very consistant with the quality Heaven Hill puts into this product every year. All be it a little soft in my opinion, but great depth in flavors. I prefer a little higher proof. Maybe you got an off bottle?

An off bottle or maybe there's a barrel out there that's not as good as others. Hansel rated it an 85 and said it was a very drinkable EWSB.....he liked it. But, the EW being a single barrel you are going to have variations form barrel to barrel. It's always a toss up in that case.
ggilbertva

Unread postby enzo » Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 pm

drinkdrankdrunk wrote:

Yeah... the bottle I got.. is just very bland, one dimensional and tastes almost watered down. Very weak.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby whitemike » Sat May 30, 2009 1:03 am

My 98 actually got me started on the ewsb collection. I sometimes even enjoy it more than my ersb. My 99 is a differnt story, while it still good it just doesn't have all the heavy bold flavors and it finishes with a little bite. I can't wait untill I open up my older bottles.
whitemike

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:04 pm

I've never been an avid collector. That's not to say I don't have a bunker, I just don't have any collecting goals. Collectors always have goals. A goal I may adopt is to keep an eye-out for other-than-current vintages of EWSB. They're definitely out there, though not where I usually shop. Of course, I can never really be a collector because I can't not open things.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings